P A R T - T H R E E

Start from the beginning

He felt a mixture of a few things, anger, frustration, admiration and yearning. His eyes were transfixed on the profile of her face as she greeted Lucas and watched him sit down, the familiarity in their behaviour causing a burning sensation in his chest. A part of him wanted to walk over and demand that she explain herself as to why she was here. This was his territory now, she had no right... but another part of him wanted to hide and leave, and just leave her to it. He could see she'd changed just by looking at her. Her posture was different, her hair seemed bouncier... she looked like she was glowing with confidence from inside but just as Magnus was creating a new folder of images of her in his mind, subconsciously replacing the ones where he'd distorted her face to make her look more demonic and repulsive, she glanced back suddenly. Magnus lent back quickly enough so that he hoped she hadn't seen him... and only then did his heart suddenly begin to start beating faster.

He didn't want them to meet, not like this. Not whilst he was creeping behind a book case to watch her interact with her friends. He decided to turn and leave, after taking a second to relax himself before returning into view on the other side of the aisle of books...

"Hm..." Alice hummed, watching the bookcase where she could've sworn she'd seen... but he wouldn't, right? She assumed he'd probably be more confrontational and storm over to demand that she explained herself, so she brushed it off... but hesitated before looking away, now glancing over at Catherine who was looking at Lucas with slightly wide eyes. "Luke? This is Catherine, we're on the same course. Catherine this is Lucas Monroe, my housemate."

"Enchanté." Lucas smiled, the effortless charm causing Catherine to blush before she said hello quietly and looked back at her laptop. Alice smiled, looking back towards Lucas who had set up his work station and sat back to sip on his water bottle. "Good day so far?" He asked.

"Yeah it's been fine. Busy but, yeah. You?" Alice asked, and Lucas hummed and shrugged. She looked back towards the bookcase just in case since she could've sworn she'd seen someone again, but instead it was another random student picking a book before wandering off. "Busy?" Alice wondered.

"Yeah." He replied, sitting up properly and letting his gaze scan the scene around him before landing on Alice. They had settled on their usual table next to the tall aisles of books over on their left, and on the right was just a wall with various paintings and a large window. It was quieter here, away from the usual bustle of the library and up on the second floor. "When do you want to head home?" Lucas asked, wondering whether or not he should feed himself or wait.

"Maybe in a couple hours?" Alice replied softly, moving her hair back over her shoulder. Lucas nodded, murmuring if she wanted anything to eat whilst he stood up. "Uh, yeah a snack or something would be nice. Thank you," she replied in a quiet voice still and he touched her shoulder before walking off.

"Wow... He's- well, gorgeous." Catherine whispered when Lucas had left and wandered out of ear shot. "Is... is that your- are you guys like together?" She asked.

"No?" Alice replied, tilting her head slightly with confusion.

"Oh." Catherine breathed. "He looks at you very affectionately, I just assumed... sorry." She continued and fixed her hair slightly.

"No need to apologise. Lucas looks at everyone like that." Alice laughed softly but continued to keep her voice down. "He's a very affectionate person, always has been."

"Oh okay. That's so sweet." Catherine replied and Alice smiled. They let the conversation finish, or rather Alice didn't reply and looked back down at her laptop screen and put her earphones back in. It was a regular thing now, whenever new people saw how Lucas behaved around either of his female friends, they would always assume there was some kind of a relationship. He'd always been very touchy, Amara had playfully warned her of it before they'd been introduced. She thought back to that time, sitting on the sleek picnic benches outside the cafeteria and watching the tall, handsome brunette walk over after leaving a group of friends. Just letting you know, he's a hugger... a big one. She heard Amara's voice say in her mind and Alice smiled a little with nostalgia.