Prologue

Peeta

I wake with a start. I pull the oxygen mask from my face, and pull the IV out from my arm. I look down at my other arm to see it thickly bandaged and blood starting to seep through. I stand quickly, my first thoughts being of Katniss. I walk around the hovercraft area silently, fearing that we've been taken by the Capitol. I see a body lying on the ground 20 feet away from me. There she is, I think to myself. I walk over to the sleeping person, who turns out to be Beetee. My heart beats faster, and I begin to panic. I don't know where she could be now. I near the doors on the other side of the small area. I can hear voices, I think.
"What do you think he'll do when he figures it out?" A man's voice says through the doors. It sounds like Finnick! I near the door, listening closely to catch every word.

The doors open. Crap, I think. What if this is a Captiol hovercraft? I'm definitely going to be killed. I'm startled to see my mentor, Haymitch, Finnick Odair, and another man I can't recognize standing before me. Finnick looks at me quickly, then looks away. He bites his lip.
"Peeta, my friend, how are you?" Haymitch asks me.
"I'm fine. What are you doing here? What am I doing here? Where are we going? Where's Katniss?!" I reply quickly. My heart continues to speed up, knowing she's not in here either.

The other man in the room looks at me, pitifully. Haymitch comes closer to me, as if he needs to tell me a secret. He grabs my arm, and sits me down in a metal chair across from one he sits in. Finnick still won't look at me.
"Peeta... There's something you need to know."
"Where is she?!" I ask, panicking.
"Peeta, first we need you to take a deep breath." The man says.
"Plutarch's right, Peeta." Haymitch says. That's right. The man is Plutarch Heavensbee, the Gamemaker.

Haymitch calls my attention to him once again.
"Listen Peeta, as you can see Katniss isn't here." He begins. He takes a deep breath, deciding to just cut to the chase.
"She's in the Capitol. We couldn't get her out. So is Johanna. They've got them both there. We're going to District 13 right now." He says.
I feel like I'm going to pass out. Or vomit. Or both. Tears begin spilling out of my eyes.
"You promised me." Is all I can get out.
"I know. I'm sorry. We tried, Peeta..." He replies to me.

I'm hyperventilating now. The tears won't stop and I can't form coherent sentences. Haymitch calls Plutarch over. Something's in my neck, and the world begins slipping away.
"Katniss..." I say, before the light of the world blinks out.

I hope you guys will read this! I'm super excited to create this AU. :)