Chapter 102

Katniss

"I still hear the sound of that runaway train. Rolled through my heart as lost lovers refrain, but I know in my heart I can never go back to the way that we were on that runaway track.
-Kodaline

They hurry me out of the prep room and back into the central area. Peeta and Willow don't notice me at first, but I watch them carefully. Willow's dark hair is curled and arranged perfectly, her dress a short, princess-like pastel purple. Just like she requested. Peeta's blond hair is combed and fixed flawlessly. He wears a suit with a solid black tie.

"Aren't you two dressed to the nines?" I ask, breaking the silence and making my presence known to them.
Peeta looks up suddenly and I watch his eyes fall on my face.

"You... Oh my God," he says. "You look beautiful."
I turn around in a circle so he can see back of the dress too.
"I haven't looked this good in years," I say.

"Mommy..." Willow says, finally looking up from admiring her purple nails.
"Hi, baby," I say smiling.
She gets up and walks over to me slowly.

"Is that the baby?" She asks, pointing to my stomach.
"Yes, Will. That's the baby," I reply.
While she looks at my swollen belly, the baby decides to kick once.
She gasps having seen the movement.

"What was that?" She asks.
"That's the baby saying hello to you," I tell her.
"To me?" She asks. The stupefied look on her face is priceless.
"Yes, to you," I say.

"I didn't know it could recognize me!" She says.
"Well, I guess it's already looking up to its big sister," I tell her, bending down to her height to kiss her forehead.

"Ah! What a beautiful family!" Effie says, walking in. "Are we ready?"

I look to Peeta for assurance. He nods his head slowly, just so I can see it.
"Ready as we'll ever be," I tell her.
"Perfect!"

I take ahold of Peeta's hand in one and Willow reaches her hand up for me to take into my other.
"Are you excited, Willow?" Caecelia asks. She's the only stylist who walks with us the whole way to the stage.
Willow, who's normally very shy around other people, begins to babble excitedly to her.

We stand backstage as Caesar's show begins. After delivering a couple of real news pieces, he transitions to the subject of Peeta and I.

"Okay," Effie says, joining us again. "Here's how it's going to go. Peeta and Willow will go out onstage first. Then... The big reveal! Katniss will come on after a few minutes, and that's that!"

--

Peeta squats down to Willow's height.
"The lights' are going to be really bright out there, Will, okay? And it gets a little hot sometimes, but just smile and talk to Caesar when he asks you anything. He's mostly going to be talking to mommy and daddy, but be a movie star like you wanted to be," he says to her.

I watch as a man in black ushers Peeta and Willow to the entrance of the stage. When they round the corner with him, I'm left alone. I sit down in a chair, trying to remember everything Effie told me before my old interviews.

I adjust my posture so I can look more happy and awake.
"Don't you remember? Back straight, shoulders down," Effie says as she walks back into the room.
I have mixed emotions at what she says. Annoyed that she's here, but also grateful for her help.

"Effie... I can't go out there again," I spill. I didn't want to say anything around Willow.
"What do you mean, Katniss?" Effie asks, sitting down next to me, concern plastered on her features.

"It's... It's nothing," I correct. I don't want to talk to Effie about this. She'll never understand. I find myself wishing Haymitch was here.
"Can you... I don't know, get Haymitch or something?" I ask. He's all the way back in 12, but I know Effie has a phone.