Embarrassing First Tries

Madi sits on the bench at the front of the school, hands on her face, feeling very ashamed and embarrassed, while her mom Mallory was in the office with the driving instuctor. "Urgh, why did I freak out like that? I can't believe I made a fool of myself like that" she scolded herself. She sighs and removes her hands away from her face. She was so lost in her thoughts, that she didn't notice Ian walk up and took a seat next to her. "Hey, Madi" he said. Madi jumps and sees her friend/crush next to her. "Oh, Ian, hey" she said. "Hi, how's it going?" he asks her. Madi sighs and leans against the bench. "I feel like dying of embarrassment" she said. "Oh come on, Madi, it wasn't that bad" Ian said, trying to comfort his friend/crush. "Yea, almost running into a vehicle wasn't bad enough" she said. "Yea, that was a little something" the elf boy replied. "I'm just gonna say it, I'm going to be a horrible driver. I can't even trust myself behind the wheel, anymore" said the elf girl.

"You're not a horrible driver, Madi. It just takes time, you know" Ian said, trying to comfort the girl. Madi wanted to argue, but decided against it. Instead, she takes a deep breath in, and softly blows it out. "I know, and I'm sorry if I complained, a lot. That was also embarassing" she said to him. "Hey, it's fine, you're upset, I get it" he said. Both were silent for a moment, not sure of what to do next. It was then that Ian decided that it was time, time to confess to the girl of his dreams. Though he wasn't sure it was the right time, he might as well try. 'Okay, you can do this, Ian' he thought. "Um, Madi, can I tell you something?" he said. Madi looks at the elf boy and said "sure, what is it?" Ian started to get nervous, and started to sweat a little. "Well, um, I was wondering if, uh" he said. "Yea?" Madi said, urging him to continue. 'Don't chicken out, don't chicken out' Ian repeated in his head. He tried to find those right words, but he just couldn't say it. Then, he blurted out "I was wondering if I could borrow a pencil from your bag?" "Oh, uh, yea sure, give me one second" said Madi, her smile faltering. "Thanks" said Ian. While she was finding a pencil, he mentally slapped himself and thought 'really, Ian? Could I borrow a pencil? Gah, I'm such a geek'. After a minute, Madi was about to give her pencil to Ian, when she looks over his shoulder and sees the science club just a few feet away from them. 

"Oh, look, there's the science club" Madi said to Ian, who turns around and sees them as well. "Oh, yea, there they are" he replied. They both get up from the bench and Madi helps him with some ideas of how to ask them to come to his house. Before she could do any more, she sees Mallory coming out of the doors of the school, pushing Toby and Katie on their stroller. "There's my mom. I better get going now" she said. "Alright, I'll see you later at my place?" said Ian. "I'll be there, and good luck" Madi said with a smile. "Thanks, bye Madi" he said. "Toodles" said Madi. As she turned away, she thought to herself 'toodles, really? Gah, I'm such a geek'. With that being said and done, she follows her mom to her car, and they drove home while Mallory was giving her daughter the talk of her life.