C H A P T E R F O U R

Start from the beginning

"Well, Lolade still's gonna interrogate him. And Fatima's gonna stop her from killing him,"

"I won't stop her. I have to go, my shift is over and he asked me out tonight," She paused and whispered, "I think he might purpose," Imani's eyes widened with surprise.

"How do you know?"

"He's been really nervous around me lately. He keeps complimenting, telling me I'm beautiful. Either that or he's cheating. And I know he's not cheating," She said, placing her stuff in her Gucci tote.

"Your mom must love him then,"

Chidinma stopped. Jesus, I haven't told my mom , she thought in pure shock. Fear filled her heart. How would she tell her mom that she was dating someone who was not even African? Imani looked at the fear on her face and cackled.

"You haven't told her? Girl, it's like you don't appreciate life. Good luck with that," Imani said as she walked out.

Jesus, help me.

As Chidinma sat in her Tesla and rang her mom, she prayed she didn't answer

As Chidinma sat in her Tesla and rang her mom, she prayed she didn't answer. Don't pick up, don't pick up, don't-

"Hello?"

"Mummy, ndewo,"

"Ahh, so you finally remember your mother shebi?" She could hear the sound of pots clanging and taps running. Her mother was mostly cooking.

"Mummy it's not like that, na"

"What is happening with you?" Chidinma took a breath and prayed.

"I'm dating someone, mummy. It's really serious. Like, I want to marry him. His name is Xante Deliano. He's Italian and he makes me feel like a queen. I love him and I can't imagine life without him," Chidinma said meekly. Her mom was quiet.

"I'm sorry, I think my ears are not working. Chidinma, you said he was Italian?" Her mother asked in surprise, "You did not find any good Nigerian man to marry? Even Hausa sef?"

"Mummy, no be you talk say make I get married?" Chidinma said exasperatedly. (Pidgin: Is it not you that said that I should get married?)

"Yes!" Faith Ndidi answered with the same volume, "To a man that might be understanding of your predicament! Does he even know?"

Chidinma was silent and kicked herself for her next words, "Yes, he does. And he still loves me, mummy,"

God, Chidinma hated lying to this woman, because her mother, like most Nigerian women, had an extra sense about everything. Her mother was quiet for a moment. Then, she sighed, "Let me call you back, Chidinma, Mama Ejiro is here for dinner,"

Breathe, Chidinma, just breathe.

Chidinma arrived at her townhouse and parked her car in her garage. After she got ready, she looked in the mirror and smiled. She wore a faux snake print fitted midi dress, her wine Gucci purse and red strappy heels. She put her light brown wig in a low, pulled back ponytail, making sure her edges were laid into perfect swirls, and carefully placed a bedazzled hair pin by the right side. Chidinma did her makeup very naturally, going for a more matte look with brown, glossed lips.