"Yeah and we have two months to get this done but i want to atleast have started it before next class" i replied.

"have any book ideas?" she asked.

I pondered for a second before listing out some of the classics only for her to shake her head no.

"Everyone else would've thought of those" she stated.

She was right.

" There's this book i got for Christmas that I've been meaning to read but haven't really found the right time, its that one on the desk there" she pointed across the room to her desk. I retrieved the book before returning to my spot.

"Me, Earl and the dying Girl" i read aloud.

She hummed softly as a response. Her eyes closed.

"Kinda ironic if you ask me"

"What?" I questioned.

"Nothing"

I thought being with a stranger in their house would be awkward and nerve wracking but being with Charlie in her quiet cold room was actually really relaxing, only bad thing was, i was starting to get cold.

As if sensing my thoughts she reached across to the other side and pulled out a dark grey hoodie and held it out to me.

" i know it's really cold and you probably didn't expect to be cold so you didn't bring a sweater or anything so you can borrow mines. You're probably thinking who the hell uses ac in nowhere."

I had thought that.
But she didn't need to know that.

I cracked a smile before saying thanks and slipping on the hoodie. It was really comfortable and the faintest scent of lavender lingered on the fabric.

She gathered a piece of the comforter in her hand before dragging it over my legs and grabbing a pillow for me to place behind my back.

She made me feel comfortable in her space even though I'd only just met her.

"I should warn you, i kinda suck at English" i mumbled, cheeks heating as the memory of Mr.Roberts telling everyone just how bad i suck in class flashed in my vision like a stoplight.

" Can't be worse than Marcus and Broody" she chuckled.

"Right!" i exclaimed, surprised she knew about that.

I read the synopsis before flipping the book back over and turning to glance at her.

"Do you wanna read out loud or should I?" i asked.

" If you would please" she requested, i hummed and started reading.

***

I'd just started a new chapter when i realized Charlie's breaths had gotten deeper.

She fell asleep.

How long had she been sleeping?

Not that long since she asked me a question about two minutes ago. A sigh left my lips before i looked at my watch and realized it was already 7 at night.

I slowly got off the bed to not wake her, somewhere along the way her head had come to rest on my shoulder and as i moved her head slumped to an awkward angle.

Her neck is gonna be sore when she wakes up.

I took off the hoodie that she gave me and folded it, resting it on the window seat, grabbed my shoes and shut the door quietly behind me.

The lights were on downstairs and as i made my way down i could hear humming coming from the kitchen. The room was bathed in a dim orange light that somehow suited the space.

Mrs. Gray was bent over the counter and at my arrival she sent me a kind smile.

" Gia hey, didn't know if you were still in but i hoped you were, these are for you" she said, coming around to press a Tupperware filled to the brim with white chip macadamia nut cookies into my hand, she patted my shoulder gently before going back around the counter.

" Thank you so much Ms. Gray, white chips are my favorite" i spoke through a smile.

" You can call me nancy, i remembered that about about you from the elementary days, they're Charlie's favorite too" She beamed.

" she fell asleep in an uncomfortable position and i didn't want to wake her so i didn't move her" i spoke.

" Gia dear, Charlie sleeps like a rock, there could be an earthquake and she still wouldn't notice, I'll move her when I'm done here" She chuckled.

"Alright, I've gotta head out now, i didn't plan to be out so late and my mom's probably worrying so I'm gonna go" i said.

" I'll walk you to the door"

I tried telling her that it was okay and she didn't have to but she insisted.

I pulled my shoes back on before stepping outside the door and turning to face her once more.

" When are you coming over again to work on the project?" she asked.

" i didn't get to ask Charlie but is Friday okay?" i questioned.

" you're welcome whenever, there's a key on the underside of the mailbox if you ever need it, i won't be home Friday so you'll probably have to use it then" She replied.

" alright, I'll remember that"

We said our goodbyes and she waited until i was safely inside of my car to retreat back into the house and close the door. I could still see the dim light from the hallway as I drove away.