Chapter 57

Two days later, Asia was out of the hospital but the doctor ordered that she get plenty of rest. Jamal got Asia and drove to the house.

"Who's here?", Asia asked looking at the unfamiliar car in driveway.

"The person who's looking after the kids and has been last two days after they get outta school", Jamal said.

"Who is it?", she asked.

"Somebody I trusted with Kim and that Josh trusted with Nicole", Jamal said.

"Josh knew I was in the hospital? I thought I told you know to tell him", Asia said.

"No I didn't tell him and you didn't tell me that", Jamal said.

"Well I meant to", Asia said as they got out the car.

" I figured", he said.

Asia nods.

They walked into the house and Asia's eyes got wide.

"Brandon?", Asia said. "How do y'all know each other"

"I was friends with josh remember". Jamal said.

"What are you doing here?", Asia asked.

"Moved here. I actually work with Jamal", Brandon said.

Asia nods as she looks at his wedding ring. "Congratulations", Asia said.

Brandon notices she was looking at his ring. "Thank you.. I would've invited you to the wedding but that wouldn't have been a good look", he said.

"It's okay", Asia said.

Brandon nods. "But um, I should get going. My wife cooked my favorite tonight", he said as he got his jacket.

"Thanks for watching them", Jamal said

"No problem", he said as he walked to the door. "Nice seeing you Asia"

"Same to you", Asia said.

"See you tomorrow Jamal", Brandon said.

"Iight", Jamal said.

Brandon left.

"That was unexpected ", Asia said.

Jamal walks to the couch and sits down.

Asia looks at him. "So... any sign of Vanessa?", Asia asked.

Jamal shook his head.

"So how do you expect me to stay here by myself throughout the day?", Asia asked.

"Asia you'll be fine", Jamal said.

"...you mean the same way you thought I'd be fine when you left me bleeding out a few days ago", Asia asked.

"Once again, it was either I stayed and let her get away and the next time she showed up be worst or get her while the cops came so she couldn't do it again", Jamal said.

"And look where we are now... she's gone and has the opportunity to do anything", Asia said.

"The police comes in and out of this neighborhood frequently. You really think she'll be back?", Jamal asked.

Asia shook her head.

"Asia listen. I swear to you, you are safe", Jamal said.

"How do you know that?", Asia asked. "All you do is say shit just to make me feel like stuff is good but it ain't! I could've died along with our daughter three days ago"

Jamal slammer his keys on the coffee table as he got up. "Because I handle that shit", he said as he looked at Asia.

Asia was silent.