thirty nine

"Who started it?" He finally spoke.

"She did!" Ericka cried, pointing fingers at Georgie like a child, and I might just continue whatever she began in the cafeteria if I didn't have my arm wrapped in bandages.

"Oh fuck off, Ericka." Jumper muttered, rolling her eyes as she leaned back further on her chair.

"Ms. Dillon, I will not tolerate that kind of language in this room." Mr. Lawrence chastised, dark brown eyes now focused on Jumper's visage. "The close witnesses are the only people allowed to give statements other than the people involved. And I assume you weren't there in the scene?"

"I tried to help out but the other students were blocking us." She explained.

"Then you have the right to remain silent." He stated, shifting from his seat and opening up his log book of misdemeanors, probably writing down both their names. Another object in his office we've grown immensely familiar with. Dalton stole it once, and read his statements outloud in one of our sessions while we were high out of propriety. It wasn't too long before Mr. Lawrence realized it was missing and checked the surveillance footage in his office and saw him sneaking in and taking it. He had to pay for it by doing community service. "Back to the two of you; what caused such a scene?"

"I was--" They both began in unison, quickly cut off upon realization.

"Ms. Shelley first."

"What?! Why?!" Georgie exclaimed to my surprise, "This is fucking bullshit, why does she have to talk first?! She's only gonna feed you lies!"

"Because I said so!" Mr. Lawrence demanded, slamming his fist on the table to assert dominance, "Another outburst like that and I will suspend you for the rest of the year!" He threatened, eyes wide as he looked at Georgie. "Begin Ms. Shelley."

"I was just retrieving my lunch from the counter and suddenly my food was all over my shirt." Ericka described, feigning a sob and pulling out a handkerchief from her pocket, wiping over her eyes. "When I looked up I noticed it was her who bumped into me."

"People in the cafeteria said you called her a crackhead?" He furrowed his eyebrows, writing down whatever just came out of her mouth. "Why is that?"

"Because she is!" She defended, my butt itching to get off the waiting chair and strangle her to death. It didn't matter whether she knew or not, she specifically knows Georgie and Dalton for drugs and either way, she'll accuse me of participating. "She is along with her friends and you know that! All of them! Including my cousin!"

Wow, suddenly I'm her cousin. Last time I checked she didn't even want to be seen anywhere near me or my friends in fear of being sneered at by the same kids she gossips with. This is definitely the first time I've heard that word be directed at me coming from her. But then again, those were the least of my worries.

Mr. Lawrence writing hand came to a halt, looking up at Ericka in confusion. "Excuse me?"

"With all due respect, Sir, I know what happened the night of the Halloween dance." She articulated, dropping the previous act of being the victim and sitting straight up, my heart thumping in my ribcage. "The teachers saw them in the storage room with booze, which is illegal so they got confronted about it. Then they discovered there were drugs too."

Chills ran down my spine from how accurate the details were, the night vividly replaying in my head; the stupid tinkerbell costume she made me wear to hummiliate me, the drugs, Sarah, and the dicussion about Pamela and the fact I didn't even know she's been discovered dead inside Hillside Cross Station. How the fuck did she know that? There no one else but us and the teachers, and we were secluded far off from the main venue, other than that, we were behind the fucking shelves and there was no way in hell her friends heard. They were too busy mixing whisky with the punch on the counter tables. "Ericka, for the love of god--"