twenty one

As soon as I walk pass him he squeezes next to me under the safety of the small umbrella, his feet trying to keep up with the fast pace of mine. There was only silence between us as we walked, the storm noises mildly entertaining me even though I was freezing myself to death. I couldn't help but think about how comfortable it would've been if I was under the roof of a car, watching the ice fall through the windows. I didn't know when was the last time I’ve been honest with my aunt or my uncle. Perhaps never. Ever since I moved in all I did was lie to them. They wanted to help me when I cried every night for my parents’ death before I moved in but I didn't let them in. Even so, they remained good to me. I couldn't be more grateful to have such a  life; even though their children despise my very existence, they loved me as their own. And what did I do to repay them? Hide more things away until I’ve built this fake image of myself in their eyes. And was lying to them again by hiding a literal stranger in my room.

The streets were empty as we walked through except for a few people under umbrellas and thick clothing, cars passing by the white roads every now and then. I wondered if we’ll ever make it through once we distribute the flyers around town for the hail didn't look like it will stop anytime soon. It seemed like a lot of work, but for our friend we’ll do it. Which reminds me, I still had Arthur's coat in my bag and I could probably use that to prevent my teeth from chattering from the cold, however I digressed. I glanced over next to me to check up on him, his arms folded around his body. He smelled better than he did last night. My shampoo and bed effused from him as he strided at close proximity to me. He was wearing aunt Marianne's worn out garden slippers, the thing barely fitting as the thin rubber flapped against the cement ground, guilt punching through me from the sight.

I’ll definitely buy him slippers, or maybe Georgie can do that for me.

School wasn't that far from where we lived, I've learned that the minute I realized I could get to it just by walking, but this time going there felt painstakingly long from the storm. I didn't know if it was because of the weather or my anxiety building up everytime we neared from the constant thought of Arthur interacting with my friends without my knowledge. Surely they would just ignore him but with the mention of my name they’ll refrain. Although I don't think Arthur would actually talk to them without me. By the time we reached school grounds it was completely alienated of people which I can't be thankful enough for, cars parked across as ice scattered throughout the entire parking spaces. The last thing I wanted is to have people staring at me because of the odd guy limping next to me. Such a scenario would fuel gossips again and I’ve had enough.

We head towards the main entrance, warmth greeting my face upon entering the door. I fold the umbrella back to its previous state, shaking off the ice from the fabric before shoving it back into my backpack. Unfortunately the hallways had a lot of people roaming round; a usual scene in second period when teachers are just so so upon obligating their students to going to their classes. It was nine thirty. My eyes immediately search for the familiar faces of my friends, failing to find them next to the lockers. Not that they ever hungout in the hallways. Georgie knew better than display our entire group for other students to remind us of the rumors Ericka spread about us so most of the time we cut classes or hangout at the back. It was the only place where shitty people didn't cat call Georgie or taunted Dalton and Dustin for being drug dealers.

The stranger next to me only stood there, eyes scanning the entire place like a little kid shoved into a school for the first time in his life. Hillside Highschool wasn't that big of a deal, but I would be lying if I didn't admit it was mildly fascinating. Not just because of its history, but also for the architecture and the endurance of it over the thousands of calamities that struck it after fifty seven years. It wasn't a surprise that hundreds of storms and disasters occur in Hillside every year, after all natives do genuinely claim the entire town cursed because of the hospital and the suicides. In all of Pennsylvania we were the number one town to have the most murders and killings.