eleven

"Uhm——" eventually Georgie began, but even that wasn't enough to ease my confusion on why they looked like I just said something I wasn't supposed to say. I could tell something wasn't right. It felt immensely wrong, because even the boys look depressed. They never look depressed. Never once did I see them with such grief in their eyes. Most of the time their eyes would be wide in inebriation and so will mine. They were the ones who really lit up the mood whenever something would get too serious in a specific conversation. Especially Brylle and Dalton. They were the perfect cliché crackhead teenagers you'd see in movies, but they were great friends.

Even though sometimes they try to hit on everybody.

"——She's missing." Jumper continued, looking down to her hands.

My ears hurt, "What?"

"The night you and Jumper left; Mrs. Winters and the rest of the teachers she was with dragged us all the way to the guidance office. Sarah was losing her mind over the cocaine and everything, she was so worried about you guys." Georgie stated, "We told her that; everyone else is worried for you guys, but she wasn't going to sober up anytime soon so I decided to call her father to help us. But——"

The absence of enough answers drove me to frustration. "But what, Georgie?"

"Before Mr. Holland could even arrive, she said she was going to find you guys and help you and we couldn't just let her go extremely intoxicated but none of us could stop her, not even the teachers. she ran into the woods murmuring something about Pamela Mitchell and—"

"She ran? What did her dad say? What did he do?" I cut her off, my head beginning to give me the sensation that I was floating, and it felt like it.

"We had to wait for another three hours before Mr. Holland got there and paid the teachers. Mrs. Winters had to go through all that bullshit about dignity first of course. She can't just keep her mouth shut for one second." She explained further more. "But she kept the money anyway."

So that was why she was acting like she didn't even know me earlier when I bumped into her by the corridors. I even had to question myself if she really was one of the teachers who caught us in the storage room for I thought things were just getting mixed up inside my head. It has been a week after all and I had a concussion and now things are getting shoved right back into me and it was making my head hurt. Although it was not like this is the first time Sarah's father had to pay her to keep things clean with his daughter.

He's done it repeatedly ever since Sarah came to Hillside. It has even been an inside joke in our group to call Mr. Holland whenever there was someone with a major academic problem because he could fix anything with his money. At first I thought about how absurd the matter was; A father selling his soul for the sake of his daughter, but I just didn't say anything because It's not like I haven't gotten any benefits from him. If it wasn't for him this group would've been kicked out a long time ago from this school, and that includes me. Even if I wanted to leave; I don't really have anywhere to go to.

Sarah didn't really like the idea of his father getting dragged into our own bullshit; but she knew she didn't have any choice. It was either she maintains a good reputation in this school or they move away again. She once told us they've been constantly moving in and out of cities ever since her grandmother died, and as much as sometimes I ask her why she had to ruin her life with us, I can't really blame her. I'm not one to tell her how to live her life, if I don't even have a decent one.

"Mr. Holland already called the cops to look for her across the town last week." Romina adds, sitting sideways on one of the arms of the bench.

"Well— Did they find her yet? Did Mr. Holland give you any information about her? Did they call her?" I rambled again, looking up at her, feeling my eyes slightly sting as the pale sky lit over my face.