thirty

The snow has been getting worse the past couple of days, winter coming in harder than it did last year, which isn't a surprise really. The long summer should've been an automatic warning about the weather, but people were too busy to prepare. The school windows were white in a thick layer of solid ice, the roads slippery outside. The weatherman said such a climate was going to persist until the end of february. It has been struggle giving away flyers in far distances away from town square so we stayed near within our reach, which isn't saying much since everyone close couldn't careless, and were all confident enough to say so in our faces. The news about Sarah's disappearance was known all over hillside now. So far, information remains stagnant and vague. The only concrete information we really have is the fact that she ran off before her father could arrive last halloween.

We've called her father multiple times, even his staff hasn't found anything yet. He said they were reaching New York and told us to be hopeful, offering to fund us money if we needed it.

If only it were that easy to stay hopeful. It wasn't. With each second that Sarah is gone, our hopes are dwindling away with it. Nonetheless, we promised ourselves; we wouldn't give up. So we didn't. In spite the judgemental glares of the people in the streets, we pushed on. We've experienced far worse than stares and harsh words in hillside high school to break just like that. Arthur is still with us, joining each discussion discreetly with caution. Thankfully no rumours were spread yet on why he keeps on missing football practice, and we're wishing there wouldn't be. Georgie is still ignoring me. She hasn't said a word to me since the day we argued. I know I should've listened to her, I know I shouldn't have let guilt get the best of me, but there I was anyway. I miss her dearly, but there was nothing I can do until this is all over.

Romina has officially joined us, giving Jumper and I more reasons to roll our eyes everytime she opens her mouth. Grant and her are the only people talking to Arthur, their conversations consisting of things I could give less of a fuck about. It was easier to endure his presence lately, perhaps because of the fact he's left me alone. It was better that way. I didn't have to persistently deal with the guilt of having him there while everyone else is against him.

Surprisingly enough, I haven't seen anything peculiar for the past ten days. I've had a few incoherent nightmares again, but there was never really a time when I didn't wake up in a cold sweat. Bill has been staying with me for ten days now, sleeping on the makeshift bed on my floor. Sure having a stranger sleep in my room while my guardians are unaware is still a sign of insanity, nevertheless, I was getting used to the sight of him sitting on my desk chair looking out the window everytime I'd go home from school. Some nights he'd force words out of my mouth, asking questions about my day. It was weird talking about how much I missed Georgie to him, but it helped get rid of the bees in my head. He hasn't talked about himself that much after our conversation last week. I'm also yet to get him new clothes which actually fit him, my sweaters and pajamas barely reaching his stomach and ankles. He looked ridiculous, but it was better than having him walk around naked in my room.

It was currently lunchbreak, the hallways teeming with students heading to the cafeteria as I head to the back exit. Bill begged me to take him along with me again but Uncle Ron didn't let me walk alone, driving me and Ella to school while Ericka stayed at home. He grounded her for the past five days after her sudden disappearance last week. Apparently she went off to New York and got drunk with her friends. I smell nothing but bullshit. She looked like she hasn't slept in two days when she got home; her clothes dirty and unchanged, her backpack worn out as it hanged on her shoulder.

Today is going to be the last day till we see her face roaming the hallways again, and so we wanted to cherish the moment when all we needed to worry about were her minions and Ella. Part of me remains curious over what happened to her. Uncle Ron was a tough-love type of father like Connor, so it wasn't impossible he believed Ericka.