twenty five

I stood still next to Georgie, anger rushing through my bloodstream each second lasted my eyes were on his face. Why? Why does he always have to be there when I don't fucking want him to be? First the library, now this?! Of all fucking places he could be in? I know Hillside is small but not small enough for him to be fucking everywhere! He's like a walking virus and it has only been three days. Although who am I kidding? This day was going to come sooner or later whether I like it or not. And that day was today. Still I was devoid of energy to deal with his unusual concern and process whether it’s real or not. All I want was to take a break from anyone which reminded me of Hillside Cross Station and everytime I see him it’s all I can think about and I don’t like it.

She wasn't moving, perhaps processing the impossible set of words coming out of Arthur's mouth and I understand completely. Nevertheless; it was too soon, and I was beyond unprepared for the wave of explanations Georgie needed.

“Adrianne never told me that?” She releases my arm, crossing hers around the flyers she held, fire lingering in her narrowed eyes the longer she stared at him.

“Yeah, also my father is a public speaker, I thought I would get him involved. He could inform the nearby cities to look for her. Lawyers can do that.”

“Everyone knows that you don't need to fucking educate me.” Venom leaked through her words as the forced smile on her face made my jaw swell.

“Well- I was just-”

“No explanations needed.” Georgie interjects, “And even I it is, I would be too exhausted to give a fuck.”

Arthur nodded, pressing his lips in a thin line and rubbing the back if his neck.

“So what's the price?”

“The price of what?”

“Of you helping us? Are your teammates here ready to throw rocks at us? Because we don't need that right now, Mr. Michigan.”

Arthur was taken aback and I almost pitied him as he blinked awkwardly. He was aware after all of the heartlessness of the people surrounding him he calls friends. For a moment I thought he didn't know. For a moment I thought he came from another dimension where his friends never sneered at us in the hallways and groped Georgie and Jumper. But why should I pity him? He was right there by the sides of the lockers just watching it all happen and he did nothing. Did he feel pity on me when everyone believed I slept with him five days after his girlfriend was considered missing by the authorities? “N-No, not at all. I’m alone. There's no price.”

“Good to know.” Georgie claims before quickly walking off.

I rush to her as fast as I could, ignoring Arthur completely in utter infuriation, the rubbing of his shoes on the icy road across the streets getting into my nerves. He followed behind me as I mindlessly crossed the streets without looking out for cars first, the contents of the paper bag shuffling as I moved. The last thing I wanted was to make it look like I betrayed all my friends by bringing him in, especially Georgie. I have never brought this kind of disappointment before in the group, and now that I was, it felt absolutely fucking horrible.“Georgie!” I called out as soon as I stepped on the pavements again, watching her from a distance as she already dove into a conversation with Dustin and Brylle. I didn't call her again, fully aware I’d only receive to such reactions.

My heart swelled, I never wanted for her to be disappointed. She was the only person in my life who accepted me when no one else would, and the only thing I had to do was not involve myself to the people who ruined us with pride. And now I was doing just that. Who was I to break that properly enforced rule? I felt like the biggest fuck up in the world as I stood there, lips trembling from the cold. I still didn't know whether I could forgive Arthur or not for suddenly coming up when I least expect him too, but I guess it wasn't his fault. I did agree to him. Nonetheless, that was only because I wanted to stop feeling like shit whenever I’d remember I was reminding him about his dead girlfriend. Maybe that was I was to him; an annoying parrot who constantly tells him his significant other got killed by a haunted hospital.