Chapter Twenty Five

Y/N comes over the next day, as promised, thankfully after Percy's dragged himself out of bed and managed to look somewhat presentable

Y/N comes over the next day, as promised, thankfully after Percy's dragged himself out of bed and managed to look somewhat presentable. She doesn't seem to mind much, if the sweet kiss she gives him when he opens the door is anything to go by. She follows that up with a bashful smile, pats his chest, and walks right past him. He shuts the door.

He can hear her chatting amicably in the kitchen with his mother, preparing a cake for the woman next door who has a birthday coming up soon. Percy doesn't throw the word 'saint' around, but if anyone comes close, it's his mom.

They lounge around the kitchen while his mom puts on the finishing touches, icing with practiced ease and raising the butterknife threateningly at Percy when he looms over her shoulder. "I know how interested you are in dessert, but this is for Ms. Anne."

"Ms. Anne gets tons of cakes," Percy says, though he backs off after his mom passes him the mostly empty bowl of chocolate batter. He hip bumps Y/N out of the way to get access to the silverware drawer. "I get, like, two a year. My birthday and your birthday."

"You'd get more cakes if you helped bake them," Sally tells him.

Percy scowls, using a spoon to scoop some of the batter up. "That's not the answer I wanted."

Y/N laughs at this, and Percy smiles at her before he shoves the spoon in his mouth, passing the bowl off to her. She gives it a cautious look. "Isn't there raw eggs in this?"

"Who cares?" Percy says, though he's not sure if she understands with the spoon still in his mouth. He takes it out. "Not enough to kill us, even if there is."

"It's dangerous." Y/N returns the bowl, but seems unperturbed as he takes care of it on his own.

He leans against the counter beside her and nudges her side. "When's your birthday?"

"Soon," Y/N vaguely replies. "When's yours?"

"How soon? I was hoping to get in on another cake," Percy says jokingly, but tries to look serious, too. Y/N's birthday is a thing he wants to know. "August 18th."

"February 3rd," she answers, measured. "And I haven't celebrated my birthday for three years, so don't even think about it."

"What?" Percy cries, shooting his mother a distressed look. He abandons his bowl of cake batter and crosses his arms to express how outraged he is. "That's awful. We have to make three cakes to make up for it."

Sally and Y/N both laugh, but the latter seems a little embarrassed. He presses his fingertips against her upper arm and leaves them there. "I mean, there was no real celebration. I got a car the year before the last; books last year. Parties celebrating me feel weird."

"That'd be my favorite kind of party," Percy mentions idly. "I'd plan, attend, and stay for the after party while I thought about next year's."

Y/N smiles up at him like she's about to laugh, but won't let herself. It's a good look on her, no matter how much he'd like to hear her laugh. "You're ridiculous. Who has after parties for a party?"