Chapter Fourteen

- 

After the seventh period bell rings, Percy really wants nothing more than to go home, beg his mom for a hot chocolate, and sit on the couch while she picks out a movie for them. That's usually his first reaction after a bad day, or a particularly embarrassing day, in this case.

Sadly, he's made a few promises that tie him up for a few hours. Granted, he's sure Y/N would let him get out of studying, especially with how adamant she is about him telling her no when he's not up to hanging out; but more than hiding from the world and relaying all of his mortification to his mom, he doesn't want to sacrifice any time spent with Y/N. Plus, he really does need help with economics. And she could probably teach him all about appositives, on top of that.

Percy wants Y/N to teach him a few other things, too, like how she likes to be kissed or when she likes her hand to be held. But he has a feeling that's reserved for people she's actually dating, or, at the very least, interested in. And Percy's gotten a vibe or two from her, particularly endeared looks or smiles that take just that much longer to fade, but he's always hated assumptions. There's too much room for error.

Y/N catches up to him right as he's stepping off the last of the stairs that lead up to the entrance of their school. "Hey, do you think you could do me a favor? It's completely fine if not, since I know one of the other's will, but you're the first person I've run into."

"Yeah, shoot," Percy says, continuing his walk towards his car. Y/N falls into step beside him.

"My dad's car won't start, for whatever reason. Well, actually, it's from the 1980s or something so I can't say I'm all that surprised. Anyways, he has a flight in about two hours, and he needs to borrow my car to get to the airport, so—"

"You need a ride," Percy finishes, already nodding his assent. "Yeah, sure, that's fine. Just for today, or school tomorrow, too?"

Y/N bites her lip, looking a little hesitant. "I'm actually not sure. The airport's a long drive and he's told me that he's going west to visit family, but I'm not sure how many days he'll be gone. I'm staying with my mom for the time being."

"Well, just let me know what you need," Percy says, genuine as can be.

"You're the best," Y/N tells him, and it sounds heartfelt. "Honestly, like... I need to send Sally flowers for raising such a great son."

He shrugs, bashful and pleased all the same. He feels himself blushing, but he's okay with it this time. "Thank you."

She gives him a smile as they stop next to his vehicle—a used, blue Dodge Neon that had taken months of hint-dropping and eventual begging until his mom surprised him with it. Percy leans a hand on it lovingly, just as Y/N reaches out for his arm again. "Thank you, really. You're a lifesaver."

"Can't say I've ever been called a flotation device, but thanks anyways," Percy says, trying his hand at wit.

Apparently, it works, because Y/N's smile widens before she bursts out laughing, and doesn't stop for a few minutes. Percy laughs with her, since Y/N's happiness is more contagious than she thinks. "You're ridiculous," she tells him, after she's caught her breath. She looks dangerously close to breaking out into giggles again, and Percy wishes he were funny enough to make her do so. "Just follow me to my house. Please."