The Bigger Picture

25
The Bigger Picture

Alister's wings rose high above his head. The metal that coated his feathers grew outward. His feathers sharpened to long, thick, swords.

"Alister, wait." Said Dick. He caught Alister's hand just before the man took off.

Alister turned to Dick. The anger and loss in his eyes eyes was overpowering. He tried to remain firm in his fury, clinging to the need for vengeance. Yet, one look in Dick's eyes and it all slipped away. The metal coat on his skin sank back into his core.

Dick was the only one who could truly know how he felt. The only one that knew she it meant to him. What she meant to the both of them.

"Don't try to stop me," Alister said.

Dick shook his head. "I'm not, I'm coming with you." He said.

"What about the rest of us?" Gar asked.

Dick and Alister turned to the team. All eyes were on them, awaiting direction. Dick stepped forward.

"I know tonight's been tough, and we've been dealing with blow after blow, but we're in the final stretch now. Savage has an army, but we have something better... We have each other." Dick said. He looked every Titan in their face as he spoke.

"There's twelve of us, so we split into four groups of three. Wally, you're with me and Al. You lead, take out as many on the front lines and get us through the line of fire."

Wally nodded. "Got it, I'm the diversion." He said.

"Everybody else," Said Dick as he turned to them. "Fight like hell. Leave no one standing."

Wally zipped away, a faded streak of yellow following behind. The rest of their team moved out after him. A chorus of gunshots, broken bones, and groans of pain sang in harmony.

Alister and Dick prepared to follow. Gar rushed forward, clinging to Rachel's cloak. His eyes were wide.

"A-Alister, Dick? I-I don't know if I can do this. I don't want to hurt anyone else." He stammered, looking to his hands. He stared at them as if they were dripping with blood.

Alister put a hand on his shoulder. "Hey, you don't have to do anything you don't want, okay?" He looked up and found a discarded CADMUS van.

"How about you run the comms? That van over there is at the perfect vantage point, you'll have eyes and ears on everyone at all times." Alister suggested.

Gar looked at him and nodded. He was ashamed but still eager to help. "Y-yeah. I can do that." He said before climbing into the van.

Alister turned back to Dick. He felt his head fog with delirium. He swayed on his feet and clutched his forehead.

"Woah, hey," Dick said as he caught Alister in his arms. "What's wrong?" He asked, brows knitted with concern.

"It's the sedative, he needs another dose to counteract the effects," Said Eve. She reached into her lab coat and pulled out the syringe.

Eve took Alister's arm. "This is the last one so you have to be quick and if you start to feel woozy, get out of there." She said while injecting him with the drug.

Alister clenched his fists. The fire in his veins sent a rush through his body. A burst of strength came with it. He stood up straight but didn't step out of Dick's embrace.