Childhood's End

06
Childhood's End
Season Two: Episode 1

Alister flew through the portal. He stumbled to his knees. Muffled humming sent a shiver down his spine. He looked up.

Alister recognized the walls of his childhood home. He was back on Thanagar. The quiet let him know it was before the Gordanian invasion that claimed his parents lives.

His father's plaques and armor lined the wall. He remembered how meticulous his mother was when cleaning them.

"They're tokens of your father's honor. Honor means everything to him." His mother always told him.

Alister pushed himself to his feet. "How did I get here?" He asked.

"Thirty minutes only, Alister! Hurry before your father gets home." His mother's voice sounded from down the hall.

A younger version of himself sprinted past him. His wings flapped with excitement. He swiped a sword off of the wall. It clattered on the floor.

Young Alister jumped. He froze where he stood. His wings curled in fear. The burns on his wings ached in fear.

Alister swallowed hard. He remembered this moment. The little boy wasn't a stranger, it was him. "This was the time I chipped father's sheath." He whispered to himself.

His mother came rushing out of the back room. "Alister Talak, didn't I tell you to be mindful of your father's plaques?" She scolded.

"I... I... I'm sorry ma, I got excited and my wings knocked it off. Please tell me I didn't break it." He said with trembling lips.

His mother knelt down. As she reached for the sword, her sleeve lifted. He could see a mosaic of bruises on her arm.

Young Alister looked down at his stomach. He still had a gash from where his father's boot broke skin. He'd upset his father by not incorrectly reciting the Rann alphabet.

His mother flashed a soft smile. "Now, now, it's not too worse for wear. Your father won't notice it. He hasn't picked the thing up since he became general anyhow." She said.

The woman mounted the sword back upon the wall. "Do you think I could be a part of the Wingmen Force one day Ma? Like father?" He asked.

His mother smiled but it didn't quite reach her eyes. "I believe you can be whatever you want. Your father's title and class has given you opportunities many beneath you long for." She said.

"What about you Ma? Are you going to join the force?" He asked.

His mother shook her head. "You know I can't do that, son. I'm from a lower sector, I can't leave the house or I may be arrested, remember?" She asked.

Alister watched them with a sadness in his eyes. He never understood his mother. She allowed herself to be caged for years. The fear of stepping into the light of day never left her.

It was something he believed she'd overcome. But how could she overcome that fear, when she lived with the devil himself?

The front door slammed open. His father stomped into the house. "What is going on here? Why isn't he studying?" General Hro Talak asked his wife.

If looks could kill, his wife would've died on the spot. He kicked the door shut and removed his belt. He stepped towards the woman with no regard for his son. His wings knocked young Alister to the floor.