Adverse Effects

23
Adverse Effects
Titans Season Two: Episode 13

"What will we do with him now father? His wings retracted, is there a way to extract them?" Asked Scandal.

Alister slowly came to at the sound of her voice. He was much too weak to fight the ties that bound him. He barely had enough strength to open his eyes. They opened to a blur then shut again.

"Kill him. But not until the procedure is complete, he will be enough to open the gateway and control the beast." Answered Vandal Savage.

"And this gateway, once its opened, what will be left of this world?"

"Ruin. Don't tell me you've developed a soft spot, child." He turned from the large window and rose a brow at her.

"Of course not father, as your right hand I believe I should be privy to such information." Said Scandal without missing a beat.

"Perhaps you are correct. You have proven yourself to be quite effective. In days you've done what Slade Wilson has failed to do in months. Not only have you apprehended Hawkboy, but a once dead Thanagarian."

"I couldn't have done it without Knockout by my side."

"Hm. I see; and the Titans?"

"Unfortunately, Rose Wilson killed her father and the Titans managed to escape while we retreated with the asset. They've intercepted the CADMUS initiative."

Vandal Savage sighed. It was easy to hear the displeasure. "If that treacherous troll Mercy Graves does her job correctly, the clone will eradicate them all in no time."

"In the meantime, Father?"

"Transport the subject to the lab. Byth and Doctor Watson are ready to begin." Vandal instructed.

"Right away, Father."

Alister heard footsteps. He felt his body jerk once and a loud snapping sound beneath. The cool metal table he laid on began to roll through the halls. He was still too weak to move.

They must've sedated him. It was both a good and a bad thing. Bad because he couldn't escape, but good because he couldn't panic. He couldn't shatter into a million pieces because he was triggered.

The teeth-grinding whir of a chainsaw blared in his ears. He couldn't move, he couldn't speak. His arms and legs were bound to a metal table. His mouth was gagged.

Alister turned his head to the side. "No..." He whispered weakly. He couldn't have those memories, not now.

"You're awake," Scandal said as she pushed him down the long hallway. She nodded at a few lab coats on her way to the elevator.

Alister groaned. It was all he could muster as a response.

"Gather your strength. You'll need it." She said.

If it were anyone else, Alister would've taken that as a warning. He failed to get through to Scandal, that was clear. So it wasn't a warning, it was her taunting him. Kicking him while he was down.

"Don't... Don't do this..." He said.

"It's already done." She said.

"Jericho!" Alister cried out. Alister dropped down onto his knees and attempted to revive Jericho. It was already too late. He was dead. He'd sacrificed himself for Alister. A sacrifice that didn't go unfelt..