Chapter 12 - Closeness

JAYDIN

Fuck, please go away, I begged the red dots on Mae's skin, trying really hard not to wake the little girl. Bad enough, after all, that she now had to continue her sleep here in the bathroom.

"I'm so sorry, Mae," I crooned to her, exhaling in relief as the color slowly faded, "If I'd known that crazy woman was about to show up with a syringe, I never would have dragged you into this."

I looked down apologetically at my baby sister and then shook my head in bewilderment.

And such a person is allowed near children...

┌───── -✧✧- ─────┐
-A short time later-
└───── -✧✧- ─────┘

"So?" Expectantly, Lani looked at me and I nodded with a smile:

"The bath did indeed help. The rash is completely gone and I think she's feeling much better now."

"Aww, I'm glad to hear that. Then put the little one to bed and I'll go clean the tub real quick."

"All right. But make sure that-"

Wait-, Clean the tub?!

"Eh, no, you can't!", I tried to stop Lani, but before I could grab her, she was out the door.

Great. Nice one, Jaydin. Nice one.

"Lani," as quickly as I could, I put my little sister back in her crib and followed her into the bathroom, "I can explain! Mae, she-"

"Was a lot sicker than we thought," Lani interrupted me, and I watched her in confusion as she picked up the red-stained washcloth and carefully placed it in the sink.

Eh-, what?

"Um, how did you come up with that?"

"How do I come up with that? Don't you see that?" She pointed to the rag.

"Eh, not really. What are you getting at, I mean-"

"The red liquid!"

"Yeah, and, huh? What about that one?"

"Gee, can't you see it coming off the washcloth and dripping into the lavatory?""

"Yes, I do, but-"

"That's wound water, what came out of the pustules and got caught in the flaps of the rag."

Uh, what?

"In short, a sign that the infection has spread!" Lani explained, exasperated, and a short time later slapped her hands over her head, "Oh Shit! The bacteria are starting to take on a life of their own, Jaydin! They're even taking over the sink! The red liquid is even settling on the edges already and sticking!" Demonstratively, she pointed at the scarlet color, and all at once I felt outrageously stupid.

Bloody Hell.

"You can stop with the amateur theatrics," I now stated bitingly, "I'm not going to take any more of your crap." Frustrated, I broke away from the frame of the door, "Since when do you know, huh?"