XXXII - 𝔭𝔬𝔪𝔭𝔬𝔲𝔰𝔩𝔶 𝔭𝔬𝔢𝔱𝔦𝔠

ELENA WOKE UP WITH A START

"What are you doing?" She whimpered, catching sight of the I.V. and the containers of blood.

Klaus Mikaelson examined her short breaths carelessly. His entire aura oozed casual wreckage and the doppelganger was scared. Scared because when Klaus was loud and angry and ferocious, he was a blaring horn, but when he was silent the most strident of things trembled in fear.

At her cheerless expression, he grinned. "What am I doing?  Just draining you of all your blood."

"Klaus did you want the —" Tyler stopped in his tracks. "Elena?"

"Tyler, help me!"

"He can't," Klaus grinned smugly. "He needs to go fetch me more empty blood bags. About three liters worth, please Tyler."

Elena stared at him, "Tyler, please. Get Stefan, please."

"No, Tyler, get the bags," Klaus ordered. "And while you're at it. Get some painkillers for my son. He's a bit banged up."

A gesture to the right showed Elena and Tyler a very unconscious Judas. There was a compelled nurse bending over him, cautiously extracting the glass shards from his skin as he slept.

Klaus watched as the cogs in Tyler's head turned. He imagined it didn't happen often, so that was why the Hybrid was slow to answer his beck and call.

But then instead of obeying Klaus' order, Tyler rushed toward Elena.

Klaus sighed, intercepting him easily. "Forget the girl and get the bags. Now."

After a moment, he nodded and left.

Elena's hope dwindled. "So, that's it? You're just gonna bleed me dry."

"Yes, but don't worry, it'll be completely painless. As the last drop is drawn, you'll simply fall asleep."

"What about your hybrids? You'll need more than this to create your army."

Klaus accepted one of the blood bags. "These last few liters will have to suffice. You see, by attempting to kill us, my mother strengthened the bond between my siblings and I. I don't need hybrids. I have my family."

Elena wriggled her wrists behind her back, testing to see the strength of the rope. "If you believe that, then why take my blood at all? You want a backup family. You know that your siblings will never trust you again. You know that Lilura and Judas won't be a part of your life forever no matter how much you want them to. Because in the end, they'll realize what kind of monster you are and they'll leave."

Klaus chuckled grimly, eyes flashing blue anger at her accusation. "You know Stefan blames me for trying to tear him from his brother, but I think we both know who really came between them," He flicked her temple childishly. "You. That's why you won't choose. You know once you pick a Salvatore, you'll destroy their bond."