XXII

The group moves through the woods. The knights, led by Arthur, and Merlin with Ava in the back. Arthur has been more cautious since they revealed she is expecting a child. But she did wear him down enough to let her go on the scouting mission. Only really agreed because the Knights of the Round Table are with them. 

Also everyone has noticed that he has been acting off since Gwen was banished as well. He has been throwing himself into his work and focusing on even the tiniest things. Contemplating every single move that he makes, afraid of someone going to use it against him. Though she can't blame him after what he has gone through. 

Soon the group comes to a stop for rest. Merlin hands her some water to drink while others go for theirs. Elyan digs through his bag in hopes of finding his. Gwaine tosses him a container, which the son of blacksmith gladly opens.

"It's empty," he states, holding it upside down.

"You said I can drink it," Gwaine argues back.

"Some. Not all."

"Here," Arthur responds. "Unlike these fools, I can share with my friends."

He tosses the container only for it to land in Percival's hands. He tosses it to Leon while Elyan fails to grab it. The knights toss it back and forth just out of his reach. Ava catches it, laughing. She tosses it back to Arthur, who finally gives it to Elyan. Once everyone has rested enough, they continue on. The group moves through the woods till they come to a bunch of trees with clothes hanging over the branches. So far down the path, there are piles of stones. 

"No one touch anything," Merlin orders. "These are to appease the spirits."

"I didn't know you were so superstitious," Arthur jokes.

"You really want to question it given what we deal with," Ava argues.

"She has a point," Gwaine laughs. "But vengeful spirits is where I draw the line."

The group moves through the area before heading back to Camelot. The group goes splits off. Arthur is dragged off to another meeting while the rest go into the armory. Everyone starts putting away any supplies or weapons they don't need. Gwaine tosses a small bag to Merlin.

"What's this?" he asks, opening it. Ava sits on the table, watching the scene.

"In case you are worried about spirits," he states. "You pour the salt in circle at the front of your bed to ward of spirits."

"Does it actually work?"

Gwaine laughs.

"If not, then either Ava or Gaius can use it to flavor their food."

Ava chuckles as Merlin tosses the bag of salt back. The knights leave the newly married couple. She waits for a moment to make sure the men are far enough out that no one will hear.

"Actually the salt is to be poured around the person to create a barrier between the spirit and the victim."

"Why do you know this?" Merlin laughs.

"You know I can actually remember for what I read, right?" she jokes with him. "Saved your life a few times you know."

"I guess that is partially true."

She lets out a chuckle before standing up. 

"Okay."

The two head out of the room to finish any last minute thing before they retire for the day.

~~~

Everyone but Merlin and Arthur are outside, waiting to start training for the day. Finally the two of them come to the field, ready. The king starts taking over the session, talking about the plan.

"What is in your hair?" Leon asks him.

"Stew," Merlin shouts as an answer.

"Why do you have stew in your hair?" Ava laughs.

"He fell asleep reading."

Arthur starts glaring at Merlin.

"You know what, I think I have a better idea for training."

He has Merlin put on a helmet and grab a shield. The knights take turn using Merlin as a human dummy. Purely to amuse Arthur it seems. The blond king goes to stand by his sister after he demonstrated his idea. 

"You are having way too much fun with this," she states, rolling her eyes. 

"Just a bit," he laughs. "He has been a clotpole the entire morning."

Elyan goes to hit the shield. Each wack keeps getting more aggressive and with more force. Soon Merlin is knocked down but he keeps going. Arthur yells at him to stop, but he doesn't. Everyone runs to stop him. Ava blocks his sword with her's. The other knights pull Elyan back and Arthur goes to check on Merlin.

"What is up with you?" the red head snaps. "Go and take a moment to recollect yourself."

He heads back inside to take a breather. She looks at her husband, who motions that he is fine. Elyan probably needs to rest some. Arthur looks at her.

"Go get some rest," he tells her. "Or maybe Gaius needs some help. Just don't over due yourself."

"Can Merlin come with me?" He looks at her. "Okay."

She heads to Gaius's house. He gladly lets her in, saying he does need some help preparing some of the usual medicines. The return to this pattern seems more natural than having to negotiate political stances. Something about working as a physician makes since to her.

"I'm glad to have the extra pair of hands," Gaius states. They start talking about the different things that have happened. It has been over a week since she has been here and it seems normal again. Soon Leon rushes in.

"We found Elyan unconscious," he states. "We took him to his room, but he is unresponsive."

Gaius and Ava take off, following him. They hurry to Elyan's chambers. He is laying on his bed, curled up, staring at the wall. He is unresponsive and not blinking. Gaius checks him while Ava's eyes scan around the room. A circle of salt is at the bottom of his bed. Probably trying to ward of some spirit.

"I can't see anything physically wrong with him," Gaius states.

"Can you please not mention this to the king?" Leon requests. "I think anyone would be in this state after their sister is banished."

"You think that is causing this?" the physician asks. The knights look at each other for the right answer.

"We won't tell Arthur," Ava promises. "Maybe after some rest, he will get better."

With that, everyone leaves Elyan alone to rest in the room by himself.