XXI

As the sun comes up, Arthur came to a decision. The two siblings are still sitting in the dining hall as he thinks it over. Just now he is pacing back and forth, contemplating life. Ava can barely keep her eyes open, but she tries to stay awake to be there for him.

"I got it," he informs her. "I won't execute them, but since it is still treason, I have to consider banishment. They can go together if they want then."

The last sentence seems to shatter him a bit more. 

"That would be the best," she tells him with a heavy heart. Agravaine bursts in, looking shocked. 

"I was just informed Lancelot took his life."

The siblings look at each other as Arthur contemplates the new news.

"Lancelot will be buried like a proper knight."

"My lord-" the adviser tries to argue.

"No. He was a great knight before this. He deserves the honor. Tell Merlin he is in charge of it. He was really close friends with Lancelot and deserves the chance."

Agravaine agrees before leaving. Ava looks at her brother.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. This won't change my decision. I have to go and make sure Gwen knows."

He leaves her alone in the dining hall. The princess lays down on the bench, groaning in annoyance. She can barely even keep her eyes open, but she should go and check on her husband. The red head gets up and head out to where Merlin is. He is heading down to bury Lancelot's body. 

"Are you okay?" she asks him.

"I am," he lies. "Why don't you get some sleep? I can do this on my own."

"Are you sure? I can go with you if you need me too."

"I promise. And you are about to fall asleep standing right here. Go get some sleep and I will be there later."

She looks into his eyes, trying to see if he is serious. She agrees and goes to their chambers. She manages to change into her nightgown before crashing onto the bed. Pulling the blankets around her, she cuddles up and passes right out. Sadly falling asleep was easier than having a peaceful one.

Ava is in the middle of a battle. Various knights surround her. Various people fall from blade and magic. The only noises she can hear is her heartbeat, breathes, and distant sound of metal clanging against each other. Pain stings through her body at points where she is injured. Niklaus turns to face her. His face melts as an enemy sword goes through her stomach.

Just before the blade actually brakes skin she ends up in a mass of water. An island lays in the center of the lake. She is laying in a boat with her brother's cloak and his sword. On the shore is Merlin, holding her body. She tries to scream out to him, but can't. The princess leaps over the edge and tries to swim to him, but something pulls her down. Water starts to fill her lungs as she is unable to breathe. 

Ava sits up, gasping for air. It feels as if she has actually been suffocating in real life. Her entire body shaking as she processes this. Tears stream down her face. Her sobs must have been loud enough because Arthur bursts into the room. He goes to pull her close, letting her cry.

"Merlin should be back soon," he tells her. "Do you want to talk about it?"

She shakes her head, pulling her knees in close. Merlin hurries in, confused what had happened. Arthur tells him and the dark hair sorcerer pulls his wife close. Tears stain his shirt as she tries to recollect herself.

"Are the nightmares still frequent?" Arthur asks.

"On and off," Merlin states. "Been more frequent recently."

"What is different?"

The young couple look at each other, mentally communicating with each other. Merlin wipes away tears running down her cheek. She looks at her brother.

"I am pregnant," she tells him. "Very early on and we wanted to wait to tell people."

"Then we won't," Arthur promises. "But how could it cause these nightmares?"

"It has been me failing to protect the baby," she lies. "I am terrified of loosing someone I love."

The last part true. It is possible visions are increasing due to carrying the child. But it could be nightmares her mind is forming around fear as well. But it felt too real to have just been a dream and not a vision. Like she was actually there. Arthur tells them he will support them and he goes to leave. Merlin kisses the top of her head.

"I won't let anything happen to you or our baby," he promises. Her stomach twists at the statement he made. Now she doesn't want to tell him about the vision in fear of hurting him.