[8] The Rainforest

"Erin?" my heart raced as her name escaped my lips. I slowly rose to my feet as Erin remained seated upright, staring at me with those bat cave eyes. 

I took a step back, holding onto my bowtie necklace. That was when Erin abruptly scrambled to her feet and chased after me. 

This is it. I'm going to die. 

I turned on my heel and my feet quickened their pace as my breath accelerated. I had been running down the hall, passing door after door after door. Heading towards a seemingly empty end. Both ends of the hallway were a cloudy mist that seemed unreachable. Every door I passed counted a second closer to my death.

Why so many doors?  Where is the room for the butterfly room? It's the only room I feel safe in. . .

To my surprise, a door opened wide and I tumbled inside. . .my back hurt so badly. 

The door immediately shut on Erin, leaving me alone inside. I took a moment to regain my strength before standing up. 

Looking around, all I saw was a huge rainforest, trees after trees, and drizzles of rain descending on me and the plants below. 

The only weird thing was the color. The plants weren't green. Nothing was green or colorful, the forest seemed to be in a black and white filter. The only color in this rainforest was from me. I peered down at myself and admired the glaring yellow on my sweater. 

I spun in a circle looking for any sign of color at all; even the rain itself was a shaded mixture of black and white, almost grayish

The trees stood so tall, peering down on me, an insect in comparison. The sound of the rain calmed my nerves. I was alone. I was safe. Admiring the waterfall in the distance brought comfort, I almost felt like I wasn't dreaming. Like I wasn't crazy. Like I wasn't stuck in some unreal hallway. Like I was normal again. . . 

I didn't know where I was, but I was finally okay with not knowing.

I could stay here for a while.

I closed my eyes for a moment, taking it all in. One deep breath. . . that was when I opened my eyes to something unexpected. . . Erin.

Her eyes were no longer black and she greeted me with a smile. The same smile from when we danced together and laughed at ourselves. She walked towards me, coming from around one of the giant trees.

"Hi, Sophie," her voice seemed hesitant. I could tell she knew I didn't feel safe. What if that thing was still controlling her. 

I took a step back and grasped my bow-tie necklace.

"Sophie. . . it's done. It's okay. I'm me again." 

I looked away and then looked back at her. She smiled again, "Please trust me. I promise it's me. He's gone."

Is Erin really Erin now? 

"How do I know that the thing isn't controlling you right now?" I asked.

"It's me, Sophie," I could hear a hint of heavyheartedness disguised in her voice, "Remember the waltz? Remember the song? I do," Erin took a step closer and her melancholy eyes met mine," I had fun. I'm glad I met you. Listen, it's time for you to go. I don't want you to leave, but I think I can make an exception for you. He wants you to go with him. But you can go home instead. I know a way but we have to leave before he comes for you."

"I want to go home," I couldn't stop the words from escaping my mouth. I think the rain masked the tears that were falling from my eyes. 

"I can bring you home, we need to leave. You ready?" Erin nodded her head to the door that stood afar next to some plants. 

I nodded my head. 

As soon as we entered back into the hallway the thing stood a distance away, not facing us. 

Its black cloak flowed as it turned around holding a scythe. The black eyes of the figure resembled Erin's eyes before. He smiled as Erin and I both froze like deer in headlights. That was when he began to sprint towards us. 

Erin grabbed me by my shoulders and forced me to face her, "Sophie, listen. Go back to the butterfly room. It will bring you back home."

"How?" my voice trembled.

"Just go!" she shook me in a desperate attempt to get me to leave, I'll miss you, friend," her smile was the last thing I saw before I ran away.

***