[1] Sophie's Awake

"Sophie. . ." a voice whispered.

I sharply inhaled and opened my eyes to a flat ceiling above me.

The intensity of bright white lights caused me to squint.

I peered around for the source of the whisper, but it was nowhere in sight.

I was alone.

White walls surrounded me, stretching so far it seemed like the corridor would never end.

All along the corridor were doors, all the same color - white. The end of the hallway was a blur; It appeared like a hazy cloud floating in space.

I stood up and clasped onto my necklace. I could feel the roughness of bowtie-shaped steel.

It brought me comfort.

Where am I?

That's when the panic settled in.

Last thing I remember I was in a hospital bed. Now I'm here.

My chest became tight as my neck stiffened. I began uncontrollably breathing. Quick, short breaths. I was gasping for air.

My head instantly felt like the weight of a bowling ball. I grasped onto my head, trying to control the pain I was feeling.

I was having another asthma attack.

It wasn't long before a red exit sign appeared at one end of the hallway.

My mind began racing.

What's going on?

Am I lost?

Why is this hallway here?

Where did the exit sign come from?

I balled my fists, but I couldn't control anything. My knees buckled and I crashed to the floor.

Just breathe. . . breathe, Sophie. . .

1, 2, 3, 4. . .

You are okay.

Everything is going to be okay.

I clasped my bowtie necklace again. Slowly, I gained control. My breathing slowed down and my neck and shoulders relaxed.

I peered around and another red exit sign appeared at the opposite end.

I pulled out my inhaler from my pocket and took one breath.

Crrsssh.

I could feel the cold air enter my body, relaxing my chest, and allowing my head to feel steady.

Finally!

I stood up and dusted off my jeggings.

That was when I heard one of the white doors click open. . .

***