#7: The Silver Head Maid

Start from the beginning

"Do we need to write it on a contract paper?", Claudia looked for a maid.  "No need", Eleanor chuckled and raised a pinky swear. "Claudia, friends keep their promises", Eleanor held her hand and made Claudia have a pinky swear with her.

"What was that?", Claudia.

"Ah. Just some kind of promise ritual", Eleanor laughed nervously. "Can I hug you?", Eleanor asked for permission. "I might not smell good. I've been outside for such a long tim-", the lady wasn't finished talking but Eleanor pulled her for a hug. "You smell like flowers, Claudia", the blonde commented. 

House of Varian Dining Hall

House of Varian
Dining Hall

"So, Gilbert and I ate a lot of cakes", Eleanor reported.

Charles felt like crying but kept a straight face. He wouldn't allow himself to be seen vulnerable. It's been a while since Eleanor had been this talkative. Before, she would just ask for the maid to serve the food in her room.

"I was just catching up with the sugar that I lost", Gilbert explained himself. "You're a sweet tooth, Gil. I noticed it. You even put 5 sugar cubes in your tea", Eleanor revealed. Charles nearly choked. "How can you drink that sweet stuff?", Charles sighed and drank his fruit juice.

"Dad. I would like to visit some parts of the mansion. I've been stuck in the library. Can I ask for Rendell to roam with me?", Eleanor asked. "Rendell? Why not ask your maids?", Charles hummed. Eleanor leaned to him.

"They're still so scared of me", Eleanor sighed.

They heard something crash outside. Eleanor was curious so she peeked.

Eleanor saw a pale-looking maid with all the mess around

Eleanor saw a pale-looking maid with all the mess around. It was supposed to be for their dessert. "Forgive her Milady, she is just new here", Erik, the chef bowed very low. "It's fine. Are you alright? You look ill", Eleanor noticed.

"Go back to the dining hall, Lady Eleanor. I am going to deal with her properly", Mari entered and the maids were whispering to each other.

The next day,
Garden

Rendell, the 28-year-old carriage driver, walked behind Eleanor. "Milady, you haven't brought an umbrella with you. Shall I go back to the mansion to get it for you?", Rendell asked. "No need to bother", Eleanor shook her head.

"Now that I have walked this far. House of Varian is really wide", Eleanor noticed. "Naturally, your proud ancestors were one of the pillars of the Andaria Empire. Your house existed long before the Empire of Andaria was founded", Rendell said so proudly. He was being praised by the people in his hometown for being able to work in a known family. It's just that he suffered because Eleanor would forbid him to go home. She would often tease him for being a country boy.

They saw a maid throwing up on the side

They saw a maid throwing up on the side. "I will make sure she sill clean it", Rendell covered the view. Eleanor peeked and recognized her. It was the maid from last night.

"Rendell, can you go and fetch me some water?", Eleanor requested. Rendell was taken back. He wasn't used to having Eleanor request politely. He went away.

The maid panted and sweat fell on her forehead. She looked for something to wipe it with. A handkerchief was passed to her. "Thanks", she reached out to it and was surprised that it was the young lady of the house.

"Pardon me, milady. I will go back to work", the maid bowed very low. She felt dizzy and was about to fall to the ground but Eleanor caught her.

"Let's take a rest for a while", Eleanor smiled and led her towards the outside parsonage. It overlooks a high mountain and a pond with fish.

Fishes are said to be stress relievers.

"Milady, I am not allowed to do this. Head Maid Mari asked me to clean the outer garden", the maid said with fear.

"You look like you're not from here. I never saw such ash-grey hair. Are you from another place? Also, what's your name? ", Eleanor asked.

"I am Saphira, milady. I came from the neighboring country that was taken by the Empire", Saphira introduced herself. "That sounds like a noble name", Eleanor commented. Saphira shook in fear. Eleanor saw her face getting paler. If she was getting dizzy and she was throwing up, there could be one reason for that.

"Saphira. Sorry to break this to you. Are you pregnant?", Eleanor tilted.

Saphira's eyes widened and remembered what the maids had been telling in their room. They said that Eleanor is such a cruel-hearted lady.

She can even kill a baby if she wishes to.

She fell to her knees and held onto Eleanor's dress.

"Milady, please spare me. I didn't want to abort this baby so I kept it. Please! Allow me to keep it. I will really work at my best. Even without pay, I will stay here. Just... Just...", Saphira cried.

Eleanor froze at the beautiful lady begging for her to keep the life inside her. So many young ladies in her world had aborted innocent children because of different reasons.

Eleanor held her hand and assisted her to stand up.

"You're so pretty even if you're crying. I'd like to have you as my personal maid", Eleanor smiled.

Rendell who saw the scenario panicked since he thought that the lady found another toy to tease. But as soon as he saw Eleanor smile so genuinely, his heart warmed up as well.

Perhaps, things can change.

Chapter end.