Medjai Attack on Camp

Oakley's POV

I've got back from taking Uma to an old water troth and am brushing her. Evelyn and Jonathan are nuzzled up to a campfire. Not far from us. Evelyn under a blanket while O'Connell had gone to get more fire wood. "What do you suppose killed him?" I ask the pair.

"Did you ever see him eat?" Jonathan asks me. O'Connell returns with logs and sets them down. He crouches by on the other side of Evie.

"Seems the Americans had a little misadventure of their own today" he tells us.

"What happened?" Evie asks him.

"Three of their diggers died" he answers.

"How?" we all ask him curious as I pause my brushing.

"Salt acid. Pressurized salt acid. Some sort of ancient booby-trap" he explains.

"Maybe this place really is cursed" Jonathan and I say together. As I go back to brushing Uma. A gust of wind blows through the camp. Uma paws the ground.

"Easy girl" I say gently.

"You three" Evie says rolling her eyes.

"You don't believe in curses, huh?" O'Connell asks her.

"No. I believe if I can see it and I can touch it, then it's real. That's what I believe" she explains.

O'Connell cocks his rifle, giving us a grin. "I believe in being prepared" he tells us.

"Likewise" I say as I finish brushing Uma. Jonathan grabs the wardens bag and starts to go through it. I roll my eyes. He suddenly yelp pulling his hand out.

"What?" O'Connell asks him.

"What is it?" Evie and I ask him. Jonathan sucks his finger, then reaches back into the pouch and pulls out a liquor bottle, the top has been chipped off. I roll my eyes.

"Glenlivet, twelve years old! Well, he may have been a stinky fellow, but he had good taste" he tells us. He opens it and takes a swig. I chuckle along with the other two and O'Connell stiffens placing his ear on the ground.

"What is it?" I ask him as Uma becomes nervous. Before he can answer, a barrage of gun fire is heard coming from the American camp. O'Connell jumps up and throws the elephant gun to Evelyn. He tells us to stay put and runs towards the camp. Evie and Jonathan run after him as I mount Uma. "Let's get you somewhere safe" I tell her.

She takes off through the camp and I notice Rick tackle one of the black robed men off of his horse. I grab a lasso and toss it around the horses neck. I lead it to the water troth with Uma and dismount. That's when I notice his horse it is, it's Cassim.

"Cassim, why are you here? Where's Ardeth?" I ask him gently. He nickers looking at the camp site. "I'll take you to him, Uma stay here girl" I tell her. I mount him and ride him into camp. I find Ardeth facing off with Rick, he has lit a stick of dynamite.

Ardeth shouts something and the black robed men stop fighting. "We will shed no more blood tonight" he states. He spots me on Cassim and I dismount him. Handing the reins to a black robed man. Who lead him over to Ardeth, who mounts him. "LEAVE THIS PLACE!... LEAVE THIS PLACE OR DIE! You have one day" he tells us before they all left.

Rick defuses the dynamite. "See! That proves it! Old Seti's fortune's gotta be under this sand!" one the Americans shouts.

"For them to protect it like this, you just know there's got to be treasure down there" another agrees with him.

"These men are a desert people. They value water, not gold" I tell them. I leave to retrieve Uma and find a note on her saddle. Leave this place, it is cursed. Thanks for taking care of Cassim, from Ardeth. I shake my head and lead Uma back to our campsite. To see Jonathan passed out drunk and the other two drunk. I roll my eyes as Uma lays down. I lean against her and fall asleep. As Rick tries to teach a giggling Evie how to punch.

A/N

Picture above of Ardeth on Cassim and on the external link of Rick defusing the dynamite