Chapter One : Nightmare

Darkness engulfs me. Silence rings in my ears. My heart shifts from rhythmic beats to a rapid thump.

Sweating nervously, I take a step forward and call out. "Hello?" The echo of my raspy voice fades into the nothingness that surrounds me.

Gulping down the lump in my throat, I try once again, "Hello? Is anyone there?"

As the echo dissipates, I can't help but wonder why I am automatically searching for someone. I don't know where I am. I don't know who put me here, so perhaps seeking company isn't the best of ideas.

The empty darkness makes my skin crawl with fear of the unknown. Slowly, I reach my shaking fingers to my face, tapping my fingertips from my cheeks up to my eyes. I check to make sure my eyes are indeed open. After confirming that my vision hasn't been obstructed, I extend my arms outward to my sides. As I wave my arms in the open space in front of me, I take another step forward.

Swoosh.

Startled by the something or someone that grazes past me as they run full speed, I take a step back and brace myself.

Swoosh.

The mass rushing by shoves my shoulder and spins me around to face the wall of darkness behind me. My breathing approaches hyperventilation as I attempt to process what is happening.

Can I run? Where would I run to? Can I hide? Where would I hide? Can I fight what ever this thing is? What would I fight? Who would I be fighting?

My chest tightens with overwhelming anticipation. Anticipation of what is to come next; my triumph or my death.

Swoosh.

Instead of passing me by, whatever it is stops to my right. The energy raises the hair on my arm and prickles my skin.

Its cold wet breath condensates on my neck. "Don't be afraid." The rich husky voice rolls through the air like silk.

Immediately, I become paralyzed. Paralyzed with fear of not knowing who or what is speaking to me. 

Swoosh.

Another mass to my left crackles in contrast, "We won't hurt you. We need you."

Who is "we"? What do "they" need me for? My thoughts to race into the darkness swirling my body.

Swoosh.

A third being rushes up to my back and while running its cold hard finger down my spine admires, "Yes. This one is strong. This one will prevail."

My entire body shivers in response to the icy touch.

Prevail? What is that supposed to mean?

My mind spinning with confusion, my body still frozen in fear.

What do I do? What do I say? How can I get out?

Not wanting to endure another touch, I attempt to defend myself, "LEAVE ME ALONE!" My scream echoes twice as loud.

Immediately, I am surrounded.

The energy buzzes in my ears as several, what I presume to be, people approach me. Whispering assurances, shouting demands, judgmental comments, slithering temptations and cackling laughter swirls around me. Each voice growing louder and louder, demanding to be heard.

The weight crushes me.

I collapse to the floor bringing my knees to my chest and wrapping my arms around my legs. I search for any type of comfort or relief.