Chapter 2

"I let out a deep breath once I'm out of the classroom, but only for it to be shortened when I feel someone grab my shoulder and push me up against the locker." 

                            *                            *                        *                        *                        *

 I gasp and quickly shove the person away from me a bit harsher than necessary. Crap, I hope I didn't blow my cover. He stumbles a bit and mumbles,

"Damn, she's strong." I raise an eyebrow and fold my arms across my chest, "what do you want?" 

He stares at me for a moment, as if he's pondering what to say. I feel uncomfortable by his stare and use my hair to cover a significant amount of my face from him. Finally, I get impatient and start walking down the surprisingly empty, quiet, hallway.

"You. I want you." I hear softly down the hallway as I walk fast.

"Oh hell no." I whisper to myself.

                              *                       *                        *                        *                        *

I'm behind the counter, working on an essay for English in the most serene, peaceful, atmosphere that I absolutely love: the library. I had recently gotten this job after my parents had died. Fortunately, I had received some inheritance to live in an apartment with my brother, but not enough to not have to worry about money constantly.

Although working at a librarian is just my "disguise", as I like to call it, my real job is being an assassin. I don't do the killing, but I'm known as the "bait" for the criminals. Luckily my literal partner in crime, Andrew (he never really bothered to inform me of his last name) does the more gruesome part due to more experience. It's not exactly my dream job, but it definitely helps Timmy and I financially. To ensure our safety, I have a different alias when I'm on a case; Bridgette Little, but only Andrew knows my real identity. 

Children's Services think that I'm living with my grandmother, when in reality she despises us since she never really approved of the marriage in the first place. At least she was more than happy to agree to let them think that we're living with a guardian. I'm going to be 18 in a couple of months anyway, it's basically just getting a head start in life....well that's what I tell myself constantly.

        While writing down a few notes my boss, Karen Wilkeys, interrupts me with that facial expression that strangely resembles a pig smelling bad fish. Do all adults represent some sort of  animal ? The 60-year-old-something woman clears her throat as if she expects me to bow down at her presence.

"Yes, Ms.Wilkeys? Is there anything I can do for you?" I ask politely.

"Yes, I need you to put those books on the cart away, they've been on the cart for AGES."  emphasizing on her last word in her thick, English accent.

"Whatever you say." I mumble as I walk towards the cart and start putting the books away.

        As I'm trying to fit a book in a very tightly compacted shelf, I become very frustrated and end up dropping several novels on the floor. I groan and bend over to pick it up. As soon as I did I felt a hand suddenly clamp onto my shoulder as if to intentionally startle me. Instead of making a high-pitched scream, I grabbed the person's arm and quickly -but swiftly- flip them over my shoulder. After about 15 seconds, I was sitting on the stranger's back with their arms uncomfortably pinned behind them.

"Gosh, and I thought I was going to be on top when the time came." he groans, while wiggling around.

"Who the hell are you?" I ask firmly.

"It hasn't even been a day, yet you already forgive me babe? How about you let go and I'll let you know." he replies back cockily. I reluctantly release my grip on his arms and stand up, not bothering to help up whoever was still on the ground.  He gets up and turns around, and I mentally face-palm myself repeatedly.

"Oh, it's you." I grumble and pick up the books that I dropped in the first place.

"Don't act disappointed sunshine...you know you missed me. By the way how did you flip me, with that tiny body of yours?" He asks, while rotating his shoulders to get some feeling back. Damn it, he can't know the real reason why. 

"I-I took self defence classes and other, um, stuff since I was little." I lamely reply back.

"Cool." He replied back, sensing that I don't want to get into detail about it. I look at my watch and my eyes become wide.

"Crap, I'm late to pick him up. I gotta go, bye Justin." I quickly say while running to the front to grab my jacket. "Wait who's he? And what's your name?" He shouts. "My name is Rosie." I shout back while I exit I can hear him snorting at my name. How mature.       

As I put my keys into the ignition, I hear my very annoying ringtone from my cellphone repeating itself over and over. In my perspective, it ushers me to get to the phone quicker in order to stop the bleeding from my ears; therefore it's a win-win situation.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Hey, Rosie Posie," Andrew answers me in a slightly mocking tone.

I roll my eyes. "Let me guess, we've got a case tonight?" 

"Yup, I'll meet you at your place at 9:00pm. Wear something a bit sexy but not too promiscious; we're going to the club," he hangs up before I can even decline. This is going to be fun.