chapter eighty nine.

"I'm sorry, y'all went Hellhound hunting and saw the Beast, but you didn't invite me? What the hell?" Ella asked, waving her arms around. "You were asleep," Scott defended. Ella narrowed her eyes before she sighed and shrugged, "That's a good reason not to invite me. If the Beast didn't kill you then I would've." Scott nodded, "Yeah I know." Ella wrapped an arm around Scott's waist and Scott wrapped an arm around her shoulders, "Scott?"

"Yeah, babe?" Scott asked, glancing down at her. Ella smiled lovingly, kissing his cheek softly. "I love you."

"Mason said it's not just to transmit frequency," Liam said, trying his best to explain Mason's theory as the pack sat in the library together, "It's high powered. Like it has to be a really strong signal." "And that's causing it to shift?" Lydia asked with a raised eyebrow. "No. I don't think it's just that. Last night Argent said that it's getting smarter. What if the Dread Doctors are trying to make the Beast grow faster?" Scott asked. "With frequencies?" Ella asked, eyebrows raised. "No, by shifting. The frequency is just the trigger. The important part is when it shifts into the werewolf," Scott told his girlfriend with a small nod. "Like Peter?" Ella asked. Scott nodded, "Right. Yeah, when Peter was an Alpha, he got stronger every full moon. Eventually, the burns healed and he was back to normal."

"So the Dread Doctors don't want to wait for the full moon," Liam concluded. "They want the Beast to be as strong as possible, as fast as possible," Scott muttered to him. "Because of Parrish," Ella muttered, "So if this is happening tonight, what are we going to do?" "Uh, we've got one clue to go on," Stiles said as he took the photo of the shoe print out of his backpack and placed it down on the table, "This came from the hospital. Whoever's lurking inside the Beast is wearing a size 10 of indeterminate make." "Indeterminate?" Ella asked her brother with a raised brow. "Means, it's a partial print. Basically, it was all we were able to get considering all the fire, blood and carnage," Stiles explained to her. "How many size 10s are out there?" Ella asked, looking down at the photo. "Only one with Parrish's blood on the sole," Stiles answered. "So are we going to try to get the game canceled?" Liam asked Scott. Stiles shook his head, "No, no, we're going to play, but we're just going to hope really hard that it doesn't turn into a blood-soaked massacre."

"Okay, but, um.. aren't we kind of missing out on a chance to catch this thing? We don't have the who but we have the where and the when. There's too many people. And we still don't actually know if it's going to happen," Liam pointed out. "It just might end up being a regular lacrosse game. It's possible, right?" Lydia asked. "That's absolutely possible," Ella said, pointing at Lydia lazily. "So we're still getting the game canceled?" Liam asked. "We're getting the game canceled," Scott confirmed.

Coach had decided to not forfeit the game, much to everyone's annoyance. It was halftime, and Ella was searching for a bloody shoe sole behind the bleachers with Stiles. "What the hell happened to you?" Ella asked her brother, seeing him stumble around with his hand covering his eye. "Sydney happened," Stiles answered, nodding towards the girl who sat beside Hayden. Ella raised a brow, "What she do?" "She kicked me in the face," Stiles replied. Ella snorted then burst out laughing, Stiles glaring at her. "Shut up, Mjesec, it's not funny," Stiles used her name as he got out an ice bag from one of the coolers and placing it on his eye. Ella glared at him then looked towards the field again. When an ear splitting screech filled the air, her hands immediately went to cover her ears as she squeezed her eyes shut and groaned in pain. Then a loud growl followed.

Ella uncovered her ears and looked at Stiles, "Did you hear that?" Stiles was looking at the field, but looked at Ella and nodded to answer her question. Ella looked back at the pitch to see Liam running towards the Beast with a determined expression on his face. Her eyes widened and she immediately took off in that direction with Stiles right behind her. "Liam!" Stiles called after him. "Liam, wait!" Ella shouted, but he didn't slow down. "Liam! Please stop! Liam, no! Wait!"

Liam jumped, meeting the Beast mid-air.

Ella rushed down the hallway, Liam in her arms as she and Hayden searched for somewhere they could lay him down. "In here," Stiles announced, quickly opening a door to an empty classroom. "Okay, okay we need to lay him down. I'm gonna lay you down on the desk, okay Liam?" Ella asked him. He barely managed to nod. Hayden pushed everything off the desk and helped Ella lay Liam down. "Liam," Hayden muttered and looked down at him. Liam grunted in response. "I'm okay, I'm okay," he mumbled, breathing heavy and fast. Ella carefully peeled some of the loose fabric of his lacrosse jersey off of him, jaw dropping and stomach churning once she saw his wound. "What? Is it bad?" Liam asked, trying to look at the wound on his chest and abdomen, which was both deep and ragged. Hayden shook her head in response, "No." "Very," Stiles and Ella said at the exact time Hayden had denied it, making Hayden glare at the two of them.

"Okay. So what do you guys usually do when this happens?" Hayden asked. "Stiles - uh - Stiles usually passes out and takes me with him," Ella replied, panting. "I think I still might do that," Stiles added, looking as if he was about to pass out. "Stiles!" Hayden shouted, making both twins snap out of it. "Scott did this - did this thing with pain. He could trigger it. Pain makes you human," Stiles said. Hayden shook her head, "He's already in pain!" "Right, okay, but maybe adding a little more could help take away the pain," Stiles said. An idea then popped into Ella's head, "Take away his pain. Hayden, you have to take away his pain." Hayden nodded, understanding. Hayden cupped Liam's cheeks with her hands and pulled him into a kiss. Dark veins appeared on her face as she kissed him, meaning she was taking away his pain. When they pulled away, Liam fell back down onto the table, no longer in pain.

"Next time I'll kiss him," Stiles stated.