chapter fifty seven.

It's been about 45 minutes into the game, Devenford winning so far. Mason and Ella had made small conversations and even shared a couple laughs. Mason told Ella how Liam talked about her, saying how she calms him down and that he always wants to be around her but not in a romantic way. Ella smiled softly when Mason had told her that. The girl on the other side of Mason, Violet, had kept asking Ella questions. Such as: where're you from? Do you have a boyfriend? Is your boyfriend Scott McCall? It got on Ella's nerves, but she didn't say anything, she only nodded. Violet also asked if she wanted to hang out some time, and since Ella did not want to be rude, she said yes. Something in Ella's gut told her that she had made a mistake, but she chose to ignore it.

Violet had left for a couple moments, neither Mason or Ella noticing. They watched as Garret rammed into Brett which caused them both to fall to the ground including Liam since he was trying to tackle Brett. Everyone in the audience gasped, staying silent as they watched the three boys fall to the ground in pain. Mason and Ella shared a worried look before looking back at the boys, seeing two of Brett's teammates carry him to the locker room to get checked out. Ella watched Scott grab Liam's arm and twist it, which made her believe that he had rammed so hard into the boys that a bone had popped out. Scott looked over at Ella and made eye contact, nodding. That confirmed to Ella that Garret had been the one trying to kill everyone, but he had missed and had gotten Brett instead. It also made a wave of worry and fear rush over Ella; Garret was after Liam.

Ella looked as if she was about to cry, Violet taking the chance and asking if she wanted to head inside the school to wash up once she had gotten back. Ella nodded, not knowing what she was getting herself into.

"I talked to Coach. I'm out for the rest of the game. What are you gonna do?" Liam asked Scott. "I don't know. Something's still not right. We're missing something," Scott muttered as he sat down on the bench in between Kira and Liam. Stiles ran up behind his friends, looking down at his phone in both shock and fear, "Guys. Lydia just broke another third of the list." The three stood up quickly, wanting to know who was on the list. "Am I on it?" Liam asked. "No. But two other people are," Stiles muttered since he had not really wanted them to hear. "Who?" Kira asked. Stiles's eyes flickered between the three before sighing, "Brett Talbot and. . and Daniella Stilinski." Stiles's voice had cracked, both Liam's and Scott's eyes going wide at the sound of Ella's name. "She's worth ten million dollars," Stiles added. "Because she's rare, right? She's a protector," Scott said hurriedly.

Scott looked up at where she once sat with Mason and Violet, seeing neither of the girls but Mason looking down at them with a confused expression. "Okay, does anyone know where Ella is?" Stiles asked, running a hand through his hair. Liam ran to Mason, "Where's Ella?" "She went to the bathroom with Violet, why?" Mason asked, Liam not answering but running back to his alpha and friends. "She's inside."

Ella walked into the locker room, seeing multiple bloody bodies on the floor, causing a soft gasp to escape Ella's lips. "Violet?" Ella asked as she turned, only to be pushed against the wall harshly. "What the hell!" Ella exclaimed, her face beginning to be squished against the wall. "Silly girl, you thought I wanted to be nice and caring and be a friend? I wanted to lead you here so I can kill you. Like I'm about to do," Violet chuckled darkly. Ella looked at the girl out of the corner of her eye, "Why? Why are you doing this?" "Because you're worth a lot of money, Daniella. The supernatural spices that you are is incredibly rare, so is an incredibly strong alpha, but you'll do. I'm not worried about the person. . but the money," Violet answered her as she went to put the Thermal Garrote around her neck until she heard a low growl from behind her.

"You want an alpha? I'll give you an alpha." Scott roared loudly and grabbed Violet by her throat, Violet losing her grip on Ella. Scott held Violet in the air for a couple of moments before throwing her against the wall, knocking her unconscious. Scott then picked up the garrote and broke it in half. Ella breathed heavily, watching as Scott made his way over to her and picked her up bridal style. "Are you okay?" He asked, "Are you hurt?"

Ella lifted up her wrists that had began to bruise, "My wrists really hurt, but other than that I'm okay." Scott let out a breath of relief and kissed Ella's cheek softly, intertwining their fingers. "My hero," Ella whispered as she rested her head on Scott's chest.

Stiles ran into the room, seeing all the dead bodies on the floor but then looked up to see Ella safe in Scott's arms. "Ella," he whispered before running over to her. Ella practically jumped out of Scott's arms and into the arms of her twin brother, the place she felt the most safe and secure. "I think we better call dad."

Ella stood with Scott as he talked with his father. "Dad, really. I'm okay," Scott assured his dad. "I should've been here," Rafael said, "And I said I would be at the games." "Well, I mean this was just a pre-season scrimmage. I didn't even tell you about it," Scott said. "But I promised your mom I'd be around so she could pick up some double shifts at the hospital. I should've been here," Rafael said. "You're here now," Scott said softly. Parrish had Violet in handcuffs as they passed by. "Jordan Parrish?" Violet asked. "Deputy Parrish," Parrish corrected. Violet sent Scott and Ella a stone cold glare as she passed, a chill going down Ella's spine. Noah stopped by them as they continued to watch Violet leave. "Sheriff, what is that? Is that the weapon?" Rafe asked Noah who was holding up the see through bag. "Yeah. It's a thermo-cut wire," Noah answered, an expression of realization going onto Rafael's face.

"Parrish, hold up," Rafael called, Noah following behind him as they ran up to Parrish and Violet. Liam then turned the corner, rushing to Ella and taking her into a hug. When they pulled away, Ella asked Liam, "Where's Kira?" "She took off," Liam answered, "Stiles told her about Lydia cracking the second part of the Dead Pool." "Her mom's on it," Scott and Ella muttered. "Everyone's on it," Liam said. "You're not," Ella shook her head. "Not yet. There's still another third, right?" Liam asked, Ella and Scott nodding. Scott and Liam then turned their heads to listen in on Rafe, Noah's, and Violet's conversation, Ella going to the corner to hear what they were saying. "Thermo-cut wire's a very unusual weapon, Violet. Now, we've got a file at the bureau on something similar. Used in over a dozen murders," Rafe said.

"I don't know what you're talking about. I just go to school here," Violet played the innocent card. "Maybe we should call your parents then. . Oh, no, That's right. You don't have any parents. That's why they call you The Orphans. We need to find her boyfriend, Garrett," Rafe said, Parrish leading Violet away. Noah turned to coach, "Coach, I'm gonna need both their locker numbers. And someone find me a set of bolt cutters."

The next morning Ella made her way into the McCall house, smiling and saying hello to Melissa who returned the gesture and words. As Ella made her way upstairs, she overheard Melissa's conversation. "I know that I'm a month late. Three months? Oh. Are you sure it's three months? Okay, I understand. Um, but if you could just turn the power back on even for a few hours, that would be really great. I have a refrigerator full of food that's going to go bad. And, obviously, I don't have the money to run out and replace $300 worth of groceries. So I am more than happy to beg," Melissa said to the real estate agent, Ella sighing sadly. Scott has never told her about their problems, yet Ella and Stiles always told him about theirs. Ella shook it off as she went into Scott's room, first noticing the red duffel bag under his bed. She quirked a brow, Scott looking up at her. From the first glance, she could see the cash that was in the bag. Ella licked her lips and bent down, taking it out from under and looking at it, wads of hundred dollar bills.