If he killed Bobbin- would he be able to jump before Bobbin's crew killed him?

Was it worth the effort? That shit of a servant had made Clarence's life a misery. Clarence had killed and wounded so many people recently and none of them deserved it as much as Bobbin did.

Before he approached the Doppleganger he staked it out. He saw them taking on provisions. Watched Bobbin strutting around on the deck as if he owned the whole boat. Issuing orders to doating crew members as they took on provisions. There was the Captain Hans, a woman hanging off his arm- not Beatrix- he stood with one hand around her and one on his hip. Clarence felt the corner of his mouth curl up. The famous Captain Hans, a pirate captain with a fleet of ships and the best privateer contracts money could buy. His black hair curled down his back in much the same way Clarence remembered his cousin Freddie's did. Bobbin spoke to him with his hands behind his back, his whole posture smug. He spoke with his head tilted back, and he laughed often.

The sailors swarmed the decks. All of them muscled, healthy, not a hint of scurvy- Hans made them eat citrus fruit and drink lemon water on the long crossings. Clarence saw two windlords pointing to the sails. He saw a Witch levitate a barrel from the ground onto the deck, and saw the port hatches for twenty four cannon- twelve each side. It was a pretty ship, and fast too. Painted in the light brown of the Humans with a checkered black and white pattern just above the waterline.

"Master Granville wants to know how long you are going to sit there watching us?" A voice said behind Clarence. Clarence jumped and turned. A ratty little man with broad shoulders and a bulbous nose raised an eyebrow at him.

"Tell that bastard to come down here and face me."

Ratty snorted a laugh. "Not a chance mate. You want to speak to him, you do it on the ship."

Clarence rounded on him. "Listen, mate. I've killed more than enough people over the last few days, and though he definitely deserves it, I don't intend to kill him. Tell him to get down here."

The pirate sniffed a laugh, "Or what?"

"Or I'll sink your fucking ship," Clarence growled and he meant it too. He pointed across the dock to a tavern called the Muddocker "I'll be having a drink in there," he said. "Tell him to bring Beatrix."

He didn't give Ratty the chance to protest and he stalked across the dock and practically kicked the door to the Muddocker open. The barman served him without a fuss and wouldn't take his coin- too much respect and fear for the Innisman surcoat- Grendal's reach was vast. He drained the cup, held it out for another, grinding his teeth as he waited for Bobbin.

Kept waiting.

By the time Bobbin showed up he was furious.

Bobbin stood in the door with his eyebrows raised and a mocking smile on his lips. Beatrix wasn't with him.

Clarence slammed his drink down and stood up, "Where is she?"

Bobbin raised his hands- "Who?" His lips split into a grin. "I thought you would be in a carriage on your way back to Grendal Innis by now?"

"Did you?" Clarence snarled, taking steps towards Bobbin. Who had the sense to take some back to keep the distance between them. "You asshole Bobbin."

Bobbin started to laugh. "I'm the asshole?" he sounded incredulous. "That's rich coming from you."

Clarence's hand went to his sword- "I have never done anything to harm you. You lied to me over and over- Why?"

"Never done anything?" Bobbin tutted, his eyes flicked to Clarence's sword and back to his face, the smile was gone. "My parents died Clarence. Once your father found out Rosa was a Witch and dismissed them they couldn't get other work. I wrote to you- I pleaded for your help and you ignored me."