6

Beatrix continued to improve her Joining Earth Standard, Clarence continued to ignore the letters that came for him and the fact that his allowance was now down to fifty silver pieces

Beatrix continued to improve her Joining Earth Standard, Clarence continued to ignore the letters that came for him and the fact that his allowance was now down to fifty silver pieces. Whilst Fred continued to ignore the fact that Clarence was putting so much of his money into the Dutchman that it left him with twelve silvers a month. Three months had passed and things were changing but Clarence wasn't sure if any of it was for the better. It was all he could do to keep his concerns from his friends, but he knew that soon there would be no money left and if he couldn't work out a way to make the pub profitable it could shut and all of them would be destitute.

Beatrix was developing an affection for Fred. Clarence was convinced stemmed from his efforts to distance himself from her. He had been plagued with dreams of her, he lived for the moments when she turned and smiled at him and it was just too dangerous to let it happen. So when he felt she was getting too close he went to Bells and spent his time with the red headed beauty, Molly Buttercup, and was vocal about his exploits and conquests. If he could, he brought women home and made Beatrix serve them drinks, each time showing her, convincing her, that he was not interested. He kept her away from him, and turned every affectionate opportunity into a way to show her he was just her friend.

At first she seemed disappointed (Which made him think that perhaps he had been right and she did find him attractive), then she seemed hurt, and then her hurt turned to silent resentment which brought her much much closer to Fred. Clarence encouraged it. He loved that Fred was happy and that his miserable grumblings had turned into flirtatious jokes. He loved it when he saw Fred smile and so he drowned his own feelings in the arms of Molly Buttercup. Did it hurt? Yes. He was upset that Beatrix didn't fight harder for his attention, but she wasn't that insecure and she wasn't going to waste her time on a man who clearly didn't want her.

On a cold August morning, Clarence came downstairs and found Fred and Beatrix speaking in the kitchen. He was about to walk in on them and state how shocked they must be to see him up and about this early, when he heard Beatrix use his name.

"How am I supposed to trust him, Fred?" Beatrix asked. "Clarence won't tell me what he's done, why he's here in Gelding Town, or where he's come from. The more he gets to know me the less I get to know him."

Clarence felt his ears burn, he pleaded and prayed to old magic itself that Fred didn't tell her.

"Beatrix, he's the man you know and leave it at that. Why does it matter what came before?"

"It matters because we are both-" she paused, trying to find the right word. "Owe?"

"Indebted."

"That- yes- to him. I looked at your accounts-"

Fred made a disgusted noise, "What did you do that for?"

"Because I know how much you're paying to keep this place running and I know how much we take," she argued. "It matters because those letters have the Leprechaun coat of arms on them, I saw it in one of the newspapers he lent me."