Carpets, Cushions and Tea

Everyone quickly poured out of the house after that fight, which I think sobered up both me and Kurt. I picked up the ring Courtney had thrown on the floor only moments before and held it out to him,

"I'm sorry it had to end like that."

He simply plucked the ring from my fingers and tucked it away in his pocket, murmuring something about checking up on Frances and going upstairs. He needed to be alone with his daughter, so I just watched him go.

I left the corridor and glanced around the living room and kitchen, the smoke having cleared up as the door had been left open, allowing fresh air inside, but the room still felt murky and dark. I, much like the last night, collected up all the half empty beer bottles and cans, tipping the excess liquid down the sink and placing any unused powders and pills on the counter. Cleaning the room was oddly cathartic, making me feel as though I was clearing all the bad energy from the room. I wiped down the table, put the chairs underneath it, straightened and fluffed the cushions and flattened out the rumpled carpet under my feet. The room was clear and quiet, and I was left alone with my thoughts.

I absentmindedly put the kettle on and got two mugs and two teabags out, thinking about the last 24 hours. Christ, it had been eventful. I'd convinced Kurt Cobain that getting a divorce was a good idea, and later inadvertently caused a very dramatic breakup of one of the most legendary celebrity couples of modern times. At least it didn't end with his death.

My being here has changed the course of pop culture history already. I just hope I'm able to change it further by stopping his untimely end in what, 18 days?

"Effy!" Kurt yelled, running into the kitchen to take the screeching kettle off the stove. How did I not notice that?

"Sorry, got lost in my thoughts there I guess. I got a mug out for you." I said, gesturing to the two plain white mugs on the counter. He poured the hot water into the both of them and grabbed the milk from the fridge.

"You okay?" he asked. I stared at him incredulously.

'You're asking me that? I think I'm supposed to be the one seeing if you're alright, Kurt." I paused,

"Are you?"

He didn't say anything for a moment, but quickly glanced into my eyes then looked away.

"Not as distressed as I thought I'd be. I guess, maybe knew this was going to happen subconsciously, so my body was preparing me for it. Almost feels like a weight on my chest has been lifted."

"I'm glad."

I rubbed his shoulder gently and passed him his freshly brewed tea. We both leant against the counter beside one another and sipped at our tea for a minute or so, neither of us having anything to say so we just enjoyed the silence.

"Thanks for clearing everything up. I appreciate it."

"Of course, someone had to do it and none of your friends seemed to care to stay and help. Besides, I find it relaxing. Calms my mind."

He made a sound of acknowledgement and finished his tea. He nodded his head towards the door and we walked out together to sit and smoke. We both lit up.

"you being here has changed so much Effy. I don't know if it's a good or bad thing, but I can feel it. Things are gonna be different. I barely know you but I'm glad you're here."

Christ, he didn't know how spot on he was. I just hope I can change things for the better.

"I'm glad to be here too. I'm honestly still so grateful for you letting me stay, I can't thank you enough."

"It's no problem. I know how it feels to not have anywhere to go, and I know how much it can help to just have a safe roof over your head. Even if tonight was decidedly not safe. How's your arm?"

I took my arm out of the sleeve of my jacket, only now realising how much it hurt. There was a purple and blue bruise blooming on my arm, the imprints of Courtney's thin fingers forming.

He sucked in his teeth when he saw it,
"that's gonna hurt tomorrow. I'm sorry it happened."

"It's alright, I've had worse."

He raised an eyebrow questioningly, so I quickly explained,
"I was at a rave once in some old factory, on the first floor, and it fell through and I landed on my arm. Damn well hurt, I looked like I'd been hit by a lorry, there were bruises down my whole right side for weeks. I wore them proudly like a battle scar."

He laughed at that, a deep chesty laugh. A really damn beautiful laugh.

"You sure are something, Effy."

-~~

I'm back baby! sorry I haven't updated in so long, honestly just never got round to it. I'm tempted to write a Jim Morrrison fanfiction purely because he's fit and I can't find any decent ones, which is a similar reason to why I started writing this. Want me to do it?

Also, how did you enjoy this chapter? I'm gonna have to work on my timelines for this a bit, figure out how to plan the next couple chapters but I'll be updating sooner rather than later because of coronavirus quarantine giving me lots of free time. Hope you enjoyed :D