Chapter 20

A/N: First of all, I want to thank you all so much. I logged on recently to find 6k reads!!! You don't know what this means to me. I read every single comment and appreciated them all. I'm so sorry I haven't updated in months, I ran out of motivation and didn't think anyone would read it. Don't worry though, I'll update multiple times a week from now on. There are over 10 chapters left to this story, so be excited for that. Without further ado: here's the story.

* * *

I sat on Marisol's bed, hugging a pillow to my chest. I didn't know how to ask this. I decided to go for it.

"Do you think you could teach me Spanish?" I blurted out.

Marisol looked up at me, eyes widened. "Uh, why?"

I looked down, a blush creeping up on my face. "Well... it's important to you and all and I want... well--I feel like it's a big part of your life and I kinda wanna be a part of that?"

She smiled. "Well, I don't know how I would teach it. I don't really think about it, it just comes naturally."

I slung my arm around her shoulder. "C'mon! You're such a good precalc teacher!"

Marisol blushed a little. "Thanks. But I don't know..."

"Please!" I begged.

She fell onto her back. "I'm honestly kinda touched, I just don't want to teach it to you wrong." She snickered behind her hand. "Your accent will be really funny though."

"Hey!" I said. She giggled, then I broke out into laughter. It was like everything was hilarious when I was around her.

"So... where do I start?" I asked.

Marisol tapped her chin, lost in thought. "I have no clue. I could teach you some phrases?"

I nodded.

She paused. "Okay, the first word you should know is 'hola,'" Marisol said.

I rolled my eyes. "I know that, at the very least."

"Oh, I didn't know you were the Spanish expert," she said, laughing.

I threw a pillow at her, but she caught it. "Thanks," she said, sending me a sly smile.

"So," I said, bringing us back to the main topic. "What else do I need to know?"

"Okay... common phrases, common phrases," she repeated, thinking. "Okay, there's '¿como estás?' and then the response would be 'muy bien, ¿y tú?'. Then there's 'buenos días,' 'buenas tardes,' and 'buenas noche.'"

I shook my head, taking in all this information at once. "Can we go over that again?"

Marisol laughed. "You might need to take out a notebook."

* * *

As I was leaving Marisol's house, something popped into my head. I lingered in the doorway. "Marisol?" I asked.

"Yeah?" She asked.

I looked to the side, holding my arm. "Uh... did you break up with Jake yet?"

Marisol paled. She looked at me with wide eyes. "No," she whispered.

My heart dropped. I imagined her and Jake sitting at lunch, him in my seat. I remembered all the times she ditched me for him.

And then I remembered that kiss in the bathroom. The hand holding on the way home. The light in her eyes. The playful teasing. She couldn't do this to him. She couldn't do this to me.