Chapter 28

Later that night, there was a knock on the door.

"I'll get it!" I yelled out and walked over to the door.

I opened it to see Marisol standing there, holding bags in her hands. My heart dropped.

"Marisol...?" I asked, fearing the worst.

My fears were confirmed when she said, "they found out."

I rushed forward and gave her a hug.

Marisol dropped her bags to the floor and wrapped her arms around my neck, holding me close.

"I'm so, so sorry," I whispered into her ear. She sniffled quietly next to me. After a few minutes, we pulled apart. I shut the door behind her and sat down on the stairs. She took a seat next to me and we sat there silently, not knowing what to say or do.

There was nothing I could do that would fix this. Already, she had to deal with family issues. I only made it worse by being with her.

"I might be able to go back. They just don't want to see me right now," Marisol whispered, tears falling down her cheek.

"What's going on here?" My mom asked, coming to the front door. She turned to us. "Oh hello, Marisol! Always great seeing you." She paused, noticing the tears. "What's going on?"

Marisol stood up. I turned to my mom. "Mom... uh... can Marisol stay with us for tonight?"

"Like a sleepover?" My mom asked. "Well it's a school night..."

"No," I started. I sighed. "Her aunt and uncle kicked her out. Can she stay here?"

"What?! Why did they kick her out?" My mom yelled, looking from me to Marisol. Her mouth hung open in shock.

My dad heard the yelling and walked into the room. "What's going on?" He asked.

I looked to Marisol. Marisol nodded and grabbed my hand.

I took a deep breath. My parents looked at me expectantly. "Uhm, Mom, Dad..." I paused, butterflies erupting in my stomach. "Marisol is my girlfriend."

My mom's mouth fell open. My dad just stared. The seconds ticked by like years. I could see cars driving by outside the window, the wind blowing the trees back and forth, and yet here we stayed, still in the moment.

Fear pooled within me and I squeezed Marisol's hand. She squeezed back, a silent source of support.

"Well... I didn't quite expect that..." My mom started. "But--"

"I love you, Penelope. Nothing you do could ever change that," my dad said. He said it in an almost angry tone, as if he was upset I would ever think any different.

My mom nodded. "That's exactly what I was going to say."

I couldn't help but stand there and stare dumbly. I tried not to let them, but tears streamed down my face anyway.

"Oh honey, what's wrong?" My mom asked, leaning forward to hug me. I let go of Marisol and leaned into my mom. All the stress and fear melted away with that hug. I forgot how comforting a mother could be.

I hadn't spent much time with my parents recently. Maybe I should have made more of an effort to be close with them. Maybe I should have tried to get my family back together.

I pulled away. "I'm sorry." I wiped my eyes. "I'm just really emotional. It's sort of a lot to take in. Everyone at school knows and--"

"Wait," my dad interrupted. "Did you say everyone at school knows?"