10. A Shock (8k Milestone)

(Author's Note: This chapter is dedicated to SpaceQueenSara and her entertaining sci-fi story, Lustral, her entry for the ONC 2020.

Also you'll see this is another short chapter, but it marks the 8K word milestone!)

Back at the station that afternoon, Ash was surprised to find a runner waiting for him, with a note from his sister.

"Come and join us for dinner tonight. You need a good meal and there's someone I want you to meet. 8pm as usual. Sandra."

"I really don't have time for this," Ash muttered under his breath, thinking of the thirteen interviews he needed to write up while the details were fresh in his mind. He glanced at the runner, preparing to send a polite refusal, then changed his mind at the last minute. It was true he could do with a decent meal. He hadn't eaten properly since before New Year's Eve.

"Please tell her I'll do my best, but I might be late."

The runner nodded, repeated the message back to Ash, and departed at an energetic trot.

~~~

Ash put aside the final report, leant back in his chair and stretched. He checked his pocket watch, then grabbed his coat from the rack. Still time for dinner if he hurried.

Walking briskly to his parents' house along the cobbled streets, Ash continued to mull over the day's interviews. Really, there had been nothing out of the ordinary until he got to the last man, Miller. Everyone else had been mildly horrified or even morbidly curious, as might have been expected, but Miller had been... odd. Jumpy. Perhaps he was just nervous about being interviewed by the police, a lot of people were, even those most innocent, but...

He thought Miller would bear further investigation.

Stepping into his parents' brightly lit hallway, Ash was immediately reminded of New Year's Eve. He smiled, thinking of Kai, wondering how soon he could see him again. Then he grimaced, annoyed with himself. If only he'd thought to ask for his address. As soon as he had a free moment, he'd-

Ash froze.

Coming eagerly toward him was Sandra, a big grin of welcome on her face, and half a step behind her was... Kai.

He might be wearing an expensive suit, with tailored trousers and embroidered waistcoat, his hair cut in a slightly different style, but it was definitely Kai. What the fuck was he doing here? And with Sandra?

Ash watched the polite smile fade from the other man's face.

Sandra hadn't noticed. "Ash? I want you to meet-"

"We've met!" interrupted Ash, coldly.

"You have?" Sandra looked confused. "Kayden was supposed to come to the party on New Year's Eve with me, but he wasn't well. A bad migraine. He had the jester's suit hired and everything, but today's the first day he's been able to get out of bed. When did you meet him?"

"Funnily enough, I met him here on New Year's Eve... wearing a jester's costume!" Ash glared at Kai, who was now looking decidedly uncomfortable.

Sandra stared from one man to the other, the smile wiped from her face. "What the hell is going on here? Kayden?"

"I'm sorry, I have no idea!" protested Kai in slightly deeper tones than normal, looking earnestly at Sandra. "I told you the truth. I was sick in bed all of New Year's Eve. I never got to wear the jester's costume—it's still in my wardrobe. I swear to you this is the first time I've ever been in this house."

"Horseshit!" snorted Ash, scarcely able to contain his furious disbelief. "You kissed me! Here in this very house, at midnight on New Year's Eve! And last night, you-" he broke off. That was too raw to talk about.

But Kai was shaking his head. "It wasn't me. You've got the wrong man. I've never seen you before in my life."