C H A P T E R F O U R

Chapter four: Personal Diary
Neveah's pov

I was running late. I didn't sleep at night, I kept up in Xylon's room watching him sleep after what Leo had told me. I waited for him to come back the whole night. He never did.

I was scared, Xylon and I were not safe. Xylon was my number one priority, he has to stay safe at all costs. It's a Sunday today and I have to go to work and Leo wasn't here to watch Xylon of course.

I took a quick shower and by the time I was done, there was a knock on my door.

I open it to see the help I had called. Shane and Bill were there to help take care of Xylon. Shane and Bill were Leo's best friends. We also grew up together but I had always favored Leo, consequently leading us eventually dating in high school.

"Guys, thank you so much for coming on short notice!" I hug them and mentally remind myself to hire a babysitter, this incident can't happen again.

"No problem, we haven't seen the fucker in two weeks." Shane comments and I slap his arm hiding a laugh.

"Guys there are snacks in the fridge, help yourself to whatever you want. I'll send you Xylon's eating schedule later and he only has 4 hours of screen time."

They stare at me blankly and when I snapped my fingers in from of them, they jump and close their hanging mouths.

"You didn't hear a word I said didn't you?" I say flatly and they shake their head 'no'.

Bill chuckles and places his hands on my shoulders before he turns me around to the stairs pushing me gently.

"Neveah relax, it's not like we haven't taken care of children before." We stop at the staircase and I furrow my eyebrows.

"But you haven't taken care of children before." I say to myself, this was a bad idea.

I should've dropped him at a daycare or something.

"Stop over thinking this, we've got this." Bill says.

"They've got this." I repeat to myself when walking up the stairs.

I go to my closet and wear casual clothes yet again.

I went down the stairs to see them watching a game

I went down the stairs to see them watching a game. Food already everywhere. I was going to have to do a lot of cleaning when I get back.

"Okay guys I'm leaving now." I swear they could be mistaken as deaf. I stand in front of the tv and they groan.

"Move out of the way." Bill says trying to look over me.

"That's what you're wearing to work?"

"Hush child." I say and Shane laughs. Xylon stands up from the couch hugging my legs. I pick him up and walk to the door.

"Mommy is gonna miss you. I'll bring you something okay?" He nods in excitement and I kiss his face all over. He turns pink and giggles trying to push me off with his small hands. I love hearing my son laugh, it was music to my ears. I let him down and the two boys appear and walk me to the car.

"You guys heard about Caleb?" I ask them.

"Yeah, Leo told us." Bill says and I sigh looking and my feet. I was so worried about him, where is he and is he alive wherever he is? The mental thoughts brought tears to my eyes.

"Hey Hey, Leo's coming back okay?" Bill says again hugging me.

"Yeah, he's just trying to keep you guys safe. And we'll also do our best to keep you and our Godson safe." Shane says and I smile at them. I hug Shane next and thank them for their promising words.

"Don't burn my house down!" I yell getting in the car. Xylon stands by the front door and waves at me.

I wave back and reluctantly drive off. Back to work, I have to get into work mode.

Carter Rodriguez was my priority now. I just hope he doesn't get close to me again. Not that I'm scared of him, it's just that what he did was unprofessional, it can't happen again.

Day 3

I enter the jail gates and I park my car in its rightful place. I get out and march to my office. When I open the door, Mr Rodriguez was looking out the window hands in his pocket.

"Good morning, Mr Rodriguez." I smile and I hear him groan and I gasp at his behavior.

Did he not like me?

"You're groaning? You don't like me?" I say and I hear him grunt. I laugh and put my clipboard on my desk.

"Here. I made you a diary." He turns to me with a look of confusion on his face. He's starting to give me facial reactions, which is good for now. He gives me an unblinking gaze as soon as I sit down behind my desk. I stare at him and motion him to sit in front of me. He slowly drags himself to the chair and sits down with a sigh. He has muscles alright, he was kept in shape all these ten years in prison.

"What are you still doing here?" He mutters. I look up from my clipboard and I sit back in my chair.

"Mr Rodriguez, I'm here to know about you. To understand you and to know why you did what you did."

"Why I did what I did?" He repeats and I nod my head.

"Nothing feels better than literally squeezing the life out of your haters. Anyone who called me 'crazy' had it coming for them. The ones who told you nasty things, that I was a disappointment, a failure, a loser. How they look at you with pleading eyes, begging for one last breath. Nothing feels better than to feel their bones snap and crack beneath my hands Dr King."

"So you enjoy killing people?" I ask trying not to show any emotion. He gives me a distant look before smirking.

"Yes, Dr Neveah." How does he know my full name?

Why is he smirking at me?

"Mr Rodriguez?"

"Mm?" He plays with his fingers, I guess he's feeling good today. This is the most communication I've received from him ever.

"I need you to write. I want you to write what you're feeling everyday. I want you to write what you would like to do when you're a freeman."

"Are you sure you're not going to be scared?" He gives me a lopsided smirk and rubs his fingers on his chin.

"Why would I be scared?"

"Mmm, just checking." We stare at each other, both of us reading one another.

This is going to be more interesting than I actually thought.