C H A P T E R - T H I R T Y T W O

Chapter Thirty Two: Guy from prison?
Carter's Pov

A blonde girl who stands maybe at 5'9 stands at my door step, she looks like she is in her mid thirties and gives me a blank stare.

"May I help you?" I ask apparently and she folds her arms on her chest giving me a cheek look.

"I'm Penelope." She says and I raise my eyebrows. I realize who this is, Neveah's best friend.

I had my guys do research about Neveah and find her favorite things in order to prepare for today, while doing that my guys found her best friend. I figured that that would help Neveah ease in.

"Oh! Come in, come in." I say and she enters the house. I close the door behind me and she turns around to face me.

"You must be Carter, no?" She asks and nod, giving her a tight smile.

"That's me." She stares at me and I only do the same thing, she was definitely weird.

"She doesn't have do stay here you know, I'm her best friend, she can stay with me."

"I'm well aware, Penelope. But it'd rather have her stay with me, it's safer...that... way." I say slowly so she can see my sincerity in the predicament. She laughs loudly and throws her hands up in the air.

"Safer? To stay with you? The same guy who killed his own mother and father?" My jaw clenches and my hands ball up in fists.

I go back to the sessions that Neveah and I had when I was still in jail and remember her telling me to breathe. I did exactly that.

I stay quiet and she raises her eyebrows at me.

"Oh so you're not going to speak to me right now? What, Mr bad guy? You're all so tough now?"

"Carter?" A small voice says and behind Penelope was Xylon, he looks pale. I walk up to him and bend to meet him at eye level, all anger leaves my body and is replaced with worry.

"Hey, what's wrong big man?" I say and he looks down almost as if he was about to cry. I've only seen Xylon cry once and that was when we went to go see his mother for the first time after she had been shot. He looks like he was about to burst into tears any second now. "Xylon, what's wrong?"

"Are you that guy from the prison mommy went to?" My heart froze. This really can't be happening. I stare at him in awe as he stares at me back, eyes filled with tears. He blinks and they fall down. "Are you?" He repeats.

I've always been a liar, I've always been a cheater and I've always been a bad, selfish person but today, right now, I struggled to lie and cheat. I was trying to be good and not selfish anymore. I can't lie to Xylon, not about something so serious.

"Xylon, big man, I-I've changed I promise." He simply closes his eyes and walks away from me, upstairs presumably to his room.

"I hope you're happy." Penelope says following Xylon.

I stare at the stairs hoping that this would be some kind of joke. Maybe this was the part where I'd wake up from this horrible dream.

Xylon walked away from me, more than that he looked hurt. It hurt me, I felt his pain. I've never been so remorseful of anything in my life.

I did somthing I hadn't done in years.. I cried.