C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - F I V E

Chapter Twenty Five: Big Man
Carter's Pov

"Hey little guy. Do you want somthing to eat?" I will admit, I am not good with looking after children. In fact I hate them, they think they know it all and they're loud and sometimes sticky.

I just don't like children.

But Xylon is different, I don't know how old he actually is but he acts like he is grown, speaks like he is very educated and is very intelligent. I could have a genuine conversation with Xylon.

"I want my mom." He says sternly. I didn't know how to tell him and quite candidly, I don't want to tell him, I'm not sure how he would react if he finds out. I know it'd be devastating for him but I just can't bring myself to saying it.

"Uh, why don't we watch some TV, huh?" I try to change the subject. Surprisingly he follows me to the living room and I put on the TV.

He gets distracted and changes the channel to nickelodeon and watches SpongeBob. I nod and head to the kitchen. I sigh rubbing my hands over my face.

"What are we gonna do with him?" Tristan asks and I put my hands on my hip.

"I don't know, Tristan. But whatever happens Leo and Caleb can't know Xylon is here with me. I need to keep this boy safe." We look back at him on the couch and stare at the boy who's mind wasn't even on the cartoons anymore, he needs and misses his mother, who am I to deprive a young boy of his mother. I have to bring him to his mother no matter how bad the image was going to be.

2 hours later

"Xylon, get you shoes boy. We're going to see your mother." I say and the biggest smile rises on his face. His face lights up as he gets his shoes.

"Mommy! Am I really going to see her?" He asks and he runs to the door and my heart shatters as I know that the same smile that he has on right now is not going to be the same when he leaves those gates.

"Listen here," I bend down on my knee and put my hands on his arms. "Xylon, man you're not going to like what you see, okay? But I want you to know what ever happens, things are going to be okay. I'm going to be here for you, that's what your mother would want from me."

"Who are you." He says after some time and I smile.

"I'm Carter Blake Rodriguez, but you can call me Carter."

"Carter." He tries the name and smiles at me.

"Let's go, big man."