36. The Frustration

3.15.20

James's POV

"I don't know what to do!" I shouted while throwing my notebook at the wall. Kody and I have been searching for ways to handle our problems for 4 hours and I still have nothing.

Kody's eyes flicked up to mine from his position on the window sill. I was glad that Koda had finally gotten him to believe what I said, but it was stupid how much better than me he was at military and keeping people calm. As of right now, he had these really, and I mean really, cute reading glasses that he had taken from my desk slid all the way down his nose.

Another thing I noticed was that when he wanted to do something, he could focus on it for a long time. I couldn't do that if I even tried, so when I got frustrated I tended to throw whatever I was doing across the room. What can I say, there's a reason my office is across the castle from where normal people hang out. Once a long time ago, I got so frustrated that I threw a glass cup at the wall. It made a really loud noise that freaked out more than a few maids, and I finally moved my office away from the living areas.

"What do you think about working together with the other kingdoms. If we join up with them, we'll be stronger," Kody suggested calmly.

"That won't work. We have too many enemies," I retorted.

"Yes, but you also have many allies. Anything could work, James," he muttered. I have a history of getting upset and taking my anger out on others, and I could feel myself exploading.

"It isn't a good idea. The people don't get along well with others who are better off than them."

"Anything is worth trying in a time of tragedy! We have nothing else to even think about!"

"Drop it! It won't work!" I shouted. I didn't want to start a fight, but I've been in here for too long.

"Fine," Kody muttered sadly, "please take a break."

I hurt his feelings with my immediate denial, but I just knew that none of it would work. "I can't take a break when they're depending on me."

"You can and you will, or I'll make you," Kody warned. I stormed out of the room like a child having a tantrum, and I distantly heard Kody close the door behind me.

I just want everything to work out without anyone getting hurt.

Kody's POV

I closed the door behind him before sliding down it. It was totally childish of me, but the tears came to my eyes before I could stop them. I had thought that my plan was pretty good, but James had just torn me down within seconds of hearing it. It was the first argument we had that I remembered.

Therefore here I am, crying like a little baby because I was turned down. I stood up and walked back over to where I was reading the previous records of battles in Carbuos. My fingers glided over the words, but they stopped in shock at one entry.

Darish War 2204- Defeat

Lasted from 2201-2204

Casualties; 100 million; -includes Prince Aaron- (unconfirmed 2220)

What if James has a brother somewhere out there that's still alive? I personally had never met a person named Aaron, but I'm sure he could be out there somewhere. That would also explain why James's family fell apart; grief does crazy things to people. His parents could have both had different coping methods that tore them apart.

"Kody?" James murmured from the door.

"Yes, James?" I replied. I think I just might keep this a secret for a bit. Probably until I figure out if it's true.

"I'm sorry for being like that to you. Whether or not I had a different opinion, I shouldn't have made you feel worse about yourself. I just can't stay in one spot for a long time without going insane."

I smiled softly because I was glad that he was apologizing. "It's okay, James. I understand that you don't always do well when you've been sitting for a while; that's why I told you to take a little break," I reassured. I took a different book and sat on his chair. It was pretty comfortable, and he made a face at me that told me he wanted to sit here.

"Come here," I murmured softly, and James walked wearily up to me. As soon as he was close enough, I pulled him down onto my lap. He squirmed uncomfortably while I wrapped my arms around his stomach tenderly. "I recommend you stop wiggling," I warned into the nook of his neck, and he swiftly stopped his movements.

I leaned back and began to read again while James seemed to get a bit more comfortable and began to search through his own books. I finally felt like I was getting somewhere when I realized that this is a detailed recollection of how they won against the only larger kingdom; Somila. It appeared that all they really needed was lots of troops and training. There were a lot of reported deaths, but somehow Carbuos won.

"I've got it," we both shouted at the same time. "Troops and lots of training."

We looked at each other, and I smiled softly. "Switch books," James commanded, and we swapped books. With knowledge of both books, I was able to get a good idea.

"Call the people together," I demanded before walking out of the room. I wandered down the hallway while slowly developing my plan. If we want to be successful, we need to gather enough people together. It'll be hard to find enough people willing to fight this, but we should be fine.

"Daddy?" A voice piped up from the floor.

"What is it, Koda?" I replied to the little child.

"Why are you and other Daddy so stressed?" So our moods are showing to Koda.

"It's just adult stuff."

"Why does no one ever tell me anything?"

"We just want to keep you safe, Koda." His huge, green eyes looked at me, and I could tell that he would be a heartthrob when he grows up.

"Daddy, can I go to school?" Koda suddenly asked. I cannot say that I was expecting that.

"Of course you can, Koda. We'll have to ask James though." I don't want him to have to live a life trapped in these walls forever. From what I have seen, it had some pretty detrimental effects on James's health, and as much as I love James, I didn't want those to reflect into our son. He doesn't deserve that.

"Yay!"

"Kody, I have called everyone together. They're in the same spot they were earlier," James announced from behind me.

I gently rubbed Koda's head before standing up and taking James's hand. We walked together through the long corridors until we reached the front. I ran through the streets like I was 15 again while James tried to keep up. It may be a particularly dark time- actually... A particularly bright time- but that didn't stop me from enjoying myself.

As soon as we were in front of the general population, I took a deep breath. It appears there's only one way out, and I'm ready to fight for the people of Carbuos.