8. The Friend

2.24.20

James's POV

I never realized how hard it was to live out here. A lot of behavior that I used to have was changed within the first couple of days. I could tell that Kody was being as kind as possible, but I was definitely testing his patience. It had been two days since we had been kicked out, and we were about to have our first meal. I couldn't tell which was harder to adjust to; not eating for days or learning to hold my own in a fight.

Speaking of fighting, I had become well versed in self defense over the past few days. Kody was one of the best at it that I had seen in my entire life, but from what he said he was nothing compared to the rest of the population in Carbuos.

The more I thought about him, the more I fell hard for him. There's just something about him that makes me feel warm inside. He was so modest even when he was doing something he had done for his whole life, and somehow his smile stayed bright throughout everything. He didn't seem bothered by the constant ache of this fast living, but I could see him break slightly at night. He was stronger than I could ever be, yet even he could crack under the stress.

"Let's go to the market to find something," Kody commanded. He had visibly degraded with his tired eyes and shuffling feet.

Almost as soon as we broke through to the main street, I was recognized. Little murmured about me went up from the crowd, but we just weaved through them like nothing.

"Go pick something not horribly expensive and then find me. I need to find someone."

I wandered around the stalls looking for something that was filling and not expensive. Eventually I found something that was only 25 harishes and would keep us full for a while.

Kody returned with someone trailing behind him and approved of my choice.

"Who's this?" I asked lowly.

"I'll explain when we're alone. The people will get rowdy if we're here any longer," he avoided smoothly before walking away. It was amazing how much he was ignoring pain when faced with the streets. He was a completely different person than when we were out of all danger.

"James, this is Melia. She's been my best friend for as long as I can remember. Mel, play nice while I let you two get to know each other."

He left, and I was alone with Melia. "What do you want from Kody. I know that someone like you would never voluntarily become friends with him," she accused me.

I was kind of offended, but the whole mentality of the streets was mistrust. All these people truly knew was betrayal and hussle. "I don't want anything from him. I'll admit that I was originally attracted to the adventure, but now I think of him as my friend."

"Honey, you look like a lovesick puppy. I know that you want to take advantage of his kind heart. Don't mess with those of us not lucky enough to get a pairing, princey."

"What do you mean?"

"You people care for nothing except for a little toy to mess around with."

"I love him!" I rejected.

"You can fool him, but you can't fool me."

"Hey guys I'm back," Kody called out, and we both mutually agreed to pretend to get along. "No one killed each other? I'm shocked."

"He's uncharacteristically kind for one of the elite," Melia lied.

"Hmm... Well we're going to leave so that we aren't out when the streets get dangerous. Bye, Mels." Kody walked away.

"If you love him so much, confess. If he rejects you, respect his decision. Don't be a coward, he won't like you that way. Step up and be a man," Melia murmured before patting my back and walking away.

We got to the hill just as the sun was sitting, and I had to wonder what it would feel like to be with him. Would we kiss and hold hands? I need to know, the wait was killing me.

"Kody?" I ventured bravely.

"What is it, James?"

"I... I really like you. I don't know why, but I would even venture to say that I love you. I don't know if you feel the same, but holding it in is killing me."

"Are... Are you serious?"

"One hundred percent."

He turned to look at me under the pale light of the moon. She shone into his face and highlighted it just right. He looked stunning, and I couldn't draw my eyes away from his. I swam in his deep, emerald eyes, and he did the same with mine.

Suddenly, I felt this horrible pain in my chest that I could tell he felt too from the way he slapped a hand over his chest. I crawled closer to him to soothe the bond that was clearly forming, but even just sitting close to him didn't work at all. Our faces were magnets with the opposite poles facing each other. Mine was drawn to his, and his to mine.

My mom had told me about the bond before she had gotten cold. She had told me that it was impossible to describe the first kiss with your partner. I could tell why.

Our lips touched, and all of my senses exploaded. Our eyes fluttered closed in sync, and his lips pressed onto mine with the same amount of intensity that I was giving into him. My arm went to the back of his neck, and I tilted his head back gently. The world was silent around us. I could feel our souls molding together into one, so I continued to kiss him like my life depended on it.

He tasted like cinamon and sugar; I was addicted with my first taste. His fingers came to my hair and wrapped tightly around the roots. I was in pure bliss, and I prayed that this would never end. I wanted to love him forever no matter what he did. The moon showed it's approval by allowing us to be this close right under it. There was nothing to hide us from her here.

Eventually he pulled away slightly. I let go of his neck, and we simultaneously opened our eyes. His were even more beautiful than before we had paired. I was glad that we developed a friendship before we were forced together by the moon. She knew what she was doing when she made the guards think he killed my general. Fate had a wierd way of showing itself, but that's just life.

"That was... Wow," he breathed incredulously.

"Sorry if that was too much, I-"

"It's fine. When I turned 22, I thought that I was never going to find you. I know how rare it is to find your pairing after 21. I guess I'm just lucky."

"I'm the lucky one here. I don't deserve anyone close to you."

"Well you have me now, so hold me as tight as you can."

OKAY OKAY JEEZE HERES YOUR SHIP! (just kidding love y'all)