19. The Attacks

3.03.20

James's POV

I kicked the door to the guardian's home into the wall. The sights that assaulted my eyes made me want to cry and throw things at the same time. Three men, one older and the other two clearly his sons, stood laughing at a disheveled Kody.

Speaking of Kody, he was strapped onto a metal table screaming and crying. All of the silver from his power was circling around his body, and he strained against the metal holding him down. Mason burst around me and immediately screeched, "Turn it off!"

The men stopped laughing and turned to us. "Oh look, the saviors are here! Luckily for you, you get to see the downfall of your little friend," the oldest man commented coldly before moving his hands towards the controls. I thought he was turning it off, but based on Kody's scream of pain he just turned the intensity to the max.

"Kody, we'll get you out, just don't open your eyes!" Mason cried before leaping at the man. Kody's whimpers were hurting my heart so bad, but I had to help Mason fight. I threw myself into battle with the younger of the two boys.

I dodged a blow from him and sent one back of my own. Kody's screams spurred me on, and I attacked with more feverish movements. Eventually I managed to knock the boy out, and I shot for the controls. However, before I could get there I was dragged to the floor by the other child. He was much more formidable than his little brother, and his blows hit me more often than not. I was pumped up on adrenaline, though, so I wasn't going to back down.

A loud crack was heard throughout the room which was directly followed by Kody's shouts. I got distracted for a few seconds trying to figure out what the sound was, and soon I was hit hard enough that I saw stars. I hit back harder, and the boy groaned before blacking out. I launched at last for the controls and saw that Mason was fine from my peripherals. Kody, however, was not, so he was my main priority at this very second.

None of the controls were labeled, so I took a blind guess. I must have chosen wrong because his shouts got louder. It took me a few tries, but I finally found the off button. Kody made a few strange gasping noises, but the light that was above him still wasn't off. His power was still all around him in fragments, and it was obvious that he wasn't okay.

I swiftly found the switch for the light, and just as I flicked it off, I was leapt at from behind. The sun guardian himself was attacking me, but where's Mason? Suddenly Mason joined the fray too, and we easily beat the guardian working together. Mason made sure that all three were dead before cautiously stepping up to Kody.

He was panting loudly and still straining against the metal, but he seemed mostly okay. Mason and I worked together to find the release switch, and when we did, Mason did the honors of flicking it.

As soon as they were off, Kody rolled off of the table. He hit the floor with a loud thud before letting out a humorless laugh.

"Kodes," I muttered against his neck after hugging him against my body.

"Jam," he breathed in response. His fingers were knotted in my shirt, and I couldn't help but notice how hot his back was. When his eyes opened, his powers were still on the surface, so his eyes were a shining silvery mixture.

"I'm so sorry I didn't get here sooner!" I apologized profusely.

"It's fine, Jam. You aren't the magic man."

"No, but I'm your pair. I'm supposed to have your back."

"You saved me. If that isn't having my back, I don't know what is."

"I wouldn't have had to save you in the first place if I had stood by you from the beginning."

He sighed gently before rolling his eyes.

"James, we should leave before the guards find us," Mason commanded.

"Right," I responded before picking Kody up.

"I'm sorry that I can't use my powers right now. It would make this whole thing easier," Kody murmured.

"It isn't your fault, Kodes," Mason and I responded at the same time.

"You're just trying to make me feel better. I'm like a fricking stick in the mud! I'm weak, and stupid, and I can't do anything ri-"

"Maybe that's what you see, but I see a beautiful boy. I see a boy that I love more than him. I see a boy who makes some mistakes, but that's what makes him perfect for me because I do to. Kody, never talk about yourself like you're just an inconvenience because you aren't!" I shouted angrily. Kody looked super guilty now.

We all got into a car and drove away. Kody's head fell into my lap almost right away, and he was asleep quickly. I knew that he was exhausted, and I had learnt that I needed to guard him while he slept. Once we were about half way to Urina, Mason pulled over into a gas station.

"Do you want anything?" he asked me quietly.

"Can I have coffee with extra espresso shots?" I responded. It was getting hard to stay awake, but I had to make sure than no one hurt my little angel.

"James, just go to sleep. I'll make sure that no one gets in the car, and of they do I'll wake you up."

"No."

"Fine. Just don't stay up too much longer than you can handle."

I nodded sleepily while he went inside. Kody had a peaceful expression no matter what he had gone through, and it made me smile at his adorableness. My fingers subconsciously ran through his long hair while I stared out of the window. Today was way more eventful than I had ever wanted it to be, but at least Kody is safe in my arms now.

The stars were shining, yet the moon's light was a little bit weaker than usual despite it being almost full. I knew that it was because Kody wasn't as strong as usual, but it was kind of unnerving.

"Here. I didn't know how you liked it, so I just got normal amounts of cream and sugar," Mason commented after opening the door. I took it with a grateful smile and took a long sip from the cup. It made me feel warmer inside, and I could feel the caffeine taking effect on me. "How are you holding up?" Mason asked while keeping his eyes on the road.

"I'm still scared that I'll lose him again. It hurt a lot to hear him in pain on that table. I felt like I would never be happy again, and I guess I wished that nothing had ever happened. I wish that I was still alone at home and never having met Kody. He would be so much safer that way. When I fell for him, I never realized how much danger I was putting him into."

"It isn't your fault, James. He would still be on the streets without you, and that was dangerous too."

"I guess," I murmured.