9. The Journey

2.25.20

Kody's POV

I woke up with my face buried into James's chest. Everything from last night rushed into my mind when I felt his arms wrapped tightly around my waist. I blushed into him with a content smile. I would stay like this forever if I could. I still couldn't believe that I had finally found the person designed for me. Usually if you didn't find them by 21 you could bet that they were either dead or the moon was punishing you. He began to stir against me, and I enjoyed the feeling of closeness.

"Good morning," he slurred tiredly.

"Hi."

I sat up and immediately missed his warmth. I often wondered if I was being too hard on him because it was his first time on the streets. However, I knew that if I never used force he would never learn. I would have a much harder time being tough towards him because of the pairing. It just wasn't safe to have him out there without the proper knowledge of how life worked.

"Did last night actually happen?" James questioned lowly, and I turned to him. His blue eyes were inquisitive, and his skin tone was starting to look a little bit healthier since we had been outside. His brown hair flowed down around his collar, and his smile was somehow even more attractive than it had been yesterday.

"I think it did."

He scooted towards me and just wrapped his arms around me. I melted against his body embarrassingly fast and just stayed there. This must be what being loved feels like.

"Kody?"

"What? This is how last night started too, I'm thinking if you say my name like that you're going to say something overly serious."

"I wanted to ask... You know what my family is like, and I want to know about yours."

I stiffened. I guess he deserved to know, but I had never told anyone about it before.

"Understand that I've never talked to anyone about this before, so bear with me. When I was a little baby, I remember being born to two people; my parents obviously. I distantly remember them being rich and powerful, but I can't remember why. My father loved me to death, but my mother only pretended to. She would be lovely around my father and cruel to me behind closed doors. One day, I was just playing when my mother came into the room. I guess I just wasn't prepared for what was about to happen. I knew she was cruel, but my little five year old mind couldn't predict what would happen. She took me here on a business trip with her. I don't know who she was meeting with, but she saw it as a blessing. She..." my voice broke. His hand rubbed my back and gave me motivation to continue.

"She shoved me onto the street and told me to wait there for her. Then she left. I never saw her again. My whole life had been torn from me in two seconds; kind of like yours. Melia found me on the side of the street and thought me everything that I know today. Without her, I would probably be dead."

"Do you remember what your father looked like?" James asked like he knew something that I didn't.

"Only distantly. He had blonde hair that was long like mine; that's why I wear mine this way. He had my eyes, and he was kind. That's all I've got," I recalled.

"What's your mother like? I know that she was horrible, but can you remember that?"

"Well she had black hair. I think she had hazel eyes? I've forced her from my memory enough that it's harder to remember her."

"I... I think I've seen them before. I was tinsy tiny, but I think I did."

"Do you know where they live? Please, if you do I need to go back!" I cried.

"I do. It's a long way away, are you willing to travel far and long with me?"

"I'll do anything to know where I grew up."

He stood up and pulled me after him. The morning light lead us along our journey, and I was happy to be with him. Moon, if you're listening, thank you for giving me James.

***

We have been travelling for almost a week through rough wilderness and numerous cities. He was leading me heaven knows where, but I trusted him more than ever. Our relationship had just grown throughout our adventure, and we were more in love than we had ever been.

"I think... I think we're almost there," James panted lowly.

"Where are we anyways?" I wondered aloud.

"Not in Carbuos anymore. If I'm right then we should be close to Urina."

"Why are we going there? Aren't they the enemies to Carbuos?"

"There's a reason for that. Not many people know it, and not many people remember our kingdoms being friendly. I remember playing with their little son as a young boy. He was older than me, but kind. I still remember that time, and I'm just hoping that they don't hurt us."

"What if they do? I don't know if I can live without you."

"If what you say is true, then they shouldn't attack us."

"I don't trust that, James."

The trees began thinning, and his hand joined with mine. "Whatever may happen, dodging fate isn't a good idea."

"I guess you're right."

We emerged into the colorful capital city of Urina. No one paid us any mind, and there were some small posters littered around the walls. "Reward for locating lost prince," I read from one of them.

"Yeah."

"Was he the one that you played with?"

"He was."

We walked towards the gate of the castle, and I wondered if James was just plain stupid.

"Why are we just walking into enemy territory?" I asked lowly. Every bit of my intuition told me that this was wrong.

"There's a reason."

"Just tell me why we came all this way already," I complained.

"It's a surprise."

"Mysterious."

His arm wrapped around mine when the guards came into view. "Don't be afraid," he muttered. I couldn't tell if he was talking to himself or me. He gave me a quick kiss on the lips before continuing forward.

"What do you want?" one of the guards asked hostilely.

"I need to speak with King Mason. It is very important," he spoke bravely, but I could feel his hand squeezing the life out of mine.

"You and I both know that today is dedicated to him mourning for his lost son. You know, the one one of your people took."

"Please, it's very important."

"Fine," the guard sighed loudly before forcing the gate open. "Lawrence, make sure that this ball of trouble doesn't destroy anything."

Another man joined us and walked us through the castle. These guards were obviously forcing themselves to be civil, and I wondered why the kingdoms had fallen out.

"This is the King's office. If he doesn't want you here, then don't force your presence. If anything bad happens to him over the next few minutes, we will not hesitate to pursue you kingdom fully."

"Thank you," James responded peacefully. He held my hand tightly in his before pushing open the door.