2. The Streets

2.19.20

Kody's POV

I ran through the dark streets of the kingdom on burning legs. I haven't done anything wrong, so why are the royal guards chasing me down? My feet stirred the muddy puddles that remained from last night's rain. I could hear the barking if the dogs about 20 feet behind me. Wait... I'm an alley car and rules don't apply in the race against death.

I skidded around a corner and tried to shake them off of my tail in the streets that I knew better than them. Suddenly men appeared in front of me, and I tried to turn around. Every exit is blocked.

I looked to see if there was a way to climb out to no avail. I'm stuck here with me that want my head for no reason. I was pinned harshly to the ground while my hands were bound behind my back.

"What did I do?" I whimpered weakly. Barely any daylight reached us, and the loss made my eyes water.

"You killed the head Marshall of the kingdom. Did you forget, dull boy?" One of the guards retorted angrily.

"I did no such thing!"

"Silence! Your ignorance is in the hands of the prince now. Pray that he shows you mercy.

I let them take me even though I had done nothing wrong. I've heard that the prince is beautiful yet cruel from others who had met him. Moon, if you're even listening any more, I'm too young to die! There's so much that I haven't done that I need to do. I don't know what I did to be abandoned without a moon pairing, but I'm just twenty two!

Silence. She really has abandoned me to wrestle with fate alone. I reached the castle and was thrown into a holding cell of sorts. "The prince is currently occupied with his moon pairing ceremony. Pray that he finds a lunar partner that will mellow his temper."

The man unchained my wrists before walking out and locking the door. I lie next to the miniscule window basking in what could be my very last sunset. It was nicer here than my home in the city by a bit even though anyone leading a regular life would scorn it.

The sun was hanging low in the sky when I heard footsteps coming down the stairs. I had a quick moment to kiss my butt goodbye before hands fiddled with the lock.

"Get up and bow, filthy animal," a voice from behind me spoke. I leapt to my feet and bowed deeply before the prince. It was a long moment filled with uncomfortable silence before I was allowed to stand straight, and even then I didn't dare look him in the eyes. It would be taken as a challenge of authority, and I didn't want to fight the freaking prince!

"Why did you do it?" The Prince questioned.

"I didn't do anything. I don't know how you thought it was me, but the real killer is still out there somewhere."

"I have to wonder why you're lying to royalty. One would think that your parents would raise you with a bit of intelligence and tell you how unwise that is." Even his posh dialect was intimidating me.

I didn't tell him that I grew up without a family because he didn't really care. I was probably just another person to slaughter in his mind.

James's POV

I was finally done with the stupid ceremony without having found anyone. I had known that this would happen, but I had to please my parents. "Your Majesty," I cringed at the title that I loathed, "we found the one that killed August."

"Where are they?"

"The holding room downstairs."

August had been my best friend and only release in this dull world. When we received news that he was murdered on the streets, I had cried harder than anyone else around me. It has been hard for me to move on, but I had eventually. However, now that we had found his killer, I needed to get my revenge. He deserved it.

I walked down the stairs slowly before using the keys to open the lock. It was dim down here because the only light was a little window above the boy that killed my best friend. I moved until I was behind him, and he was still just staring blankly at the sun. "Get up and bow, filthy animal," I snarled enjoying his panic to get up.

Once he was on his pitiful feet, he bowed down as if that would save him from his fate. I took that moment to observe him. He had long, black hair that clearly hadn't been cut in years. Strangely, I wanted to stroke my hands through it... Anyways! He had these captivating emerald eyes that would hypnotize even the best people. While dirty, his face still had amazing bone structure. Honestly, he looked like a hotter version of the stereotypical street rat. After almost a minute of observing everything about him, I finally allowed him up. Even though he was standing straight, he still stared at pretty much anything except for my eyes. Great, so he knew that looking people in their eyes was a challenging move, and he respected my authority over his future.

"Why did you do that?" I asked, surprising both myself and him. I usually wouldn't use much mercy, but I need to know why he acted that way before I decided his fate.

"I didn't do anything. I don't know how you thought it was me, but the real killer is still out there somewhere."

Oh, so it's going to be this way. I don't know why he has the audacity to lie to me about murdering someone unless he has a real reason to lie. I hadn't developed to face reading that my parents had, so it would take me a while to figure out if he was actually lying or not.

"I have to wonder why you're lying to royalty. One would think that your parents would raise you with a bit of intelligence and tell you how unwise that is," I responded with an unusual calm. I don't know why, but this boy made me want to be merciful towards him. It was something about the way he fiddled with his hands underneath his waist to show his nerves. Who knows, it could be his beautiful eyes that were currently avoiding contact with me.

I sighed quietly. Whatever it may be, I couldn't just kill him. Even though I seeked revenge for my best friend, it would be hard to just take a life as beautiful as his. What am I thinking!? I can't be weak, I have to be strong for my parents. However, at the same time I wasn't them, and I never would be.

"Um... If you're gonna kill me can you just do it already?" He piped up. While I found it daring, I could see his point of view. I know that I had the pretense of ruthlessness, so I didn't blame him for thinking that this would be his last day.

"I'm not going to kill you... Yet."

It's a chapter, wow! I also accidentally stole my friend's name for this story, so oof if they find it.