11. The Embarrassment

2.27.20

Kody's POV

"I don't mind the answer, but what is James to you."

"He's my moon pair. I don't think I can live without him. He pulled me out of a hard spot, and I'm grateful for that."

"You speak really fondly of him."

"He really isn't a bad person. I know that you two don't really get along, but I love him a lot. Don't be that one salty in law. We don't need 3."

"I mostly judge him on his parents. They're horrible people, really. They care more for wealth than their own people."

"James... When I found him he was broken. His parents cared more for the appearance of being perfect than happiness. He was pale and unhealthy looking, and he craved love, attention, and adventure. I showed him all of that, and we actually fell in love before the moon paired us."

"Your relationship sounds beautiful. I remember when your mother was worth loving."

"What happened to her anyways?"

"She got cold after giving you away. She ended up cheating on me and running away with a one night stand. It hurt, but I felt more when I lost you."

"She sounds horrible."

"She wasn't always, but she ended up being."

"I hope... I hope I never have to leave here."

"What about James's family?"

"They kicked him out for defending me. His father shot me in the leg, so James shot him in the arm. His father got mad at him for defending a 'street rat' and ruining the family name. We spent a few nights on the streets in Carbuos then traveled here over a week."

"I would love to meet him in a civil way. I still blamed them for taking you at that time. That was wrong, and I need to properly apologize to his face."

"He'll probably storm in here soon."

James's POV

I woke up with the absence of Kody's warmth next to me, and I jerked up in panic. In his place there was a small note, and I picked it up.

I'm sorry that I didn't wake you before I left. I had a feeling that I had to meet my father alone, so I did it. 

Please forgive, Kody <3

I smiled at the cute nature of the note, but I was worried about him. I set off into the crisp air with a small smile. When I got to the gates, no one even tried to stop me from entering. I walked through the castle while gawking at the homey feeling. Pictures dating back centuries littered the walls, so it didn't feel empty like home.

I stood behind the door from yesterday, and I heard idle chatter from inside. Leave it to Kody to make up with someone in two hours. Suddenly the door opened and Kody dragged me inside. "Stop being a creep!" he joked loudly.

"I wasn't being a creep!" I defended.

"Mhmm, surrreeeeee."

I slapped a hand onto my chest in mock offense before Mason spoke up, "James, I'm sorry for my behavior yesterday. I shouldn't have, but I judged you based on your parents. Also, I thought that my son was lost in your land still because he was taken by someone who lives there. I know not that he wasn't, and from what I've heard you're a wonderful young man."

"I understand, sir. If I lost this idiot," I started while rubbing a hand on Kody's head and messing up his hair. He ducked away from me because he hated it while I continued, "I don't know what I would do with myself."

"I'm glad that you're better than your parents. I would have trouble giving my son to you if it was that way."

"Guess it's a good thing I'm not!" I chirped before pecking Kody on the cheek. He gave me a dirty look while also blushing profusely.

"Don't embarrass me in front of my dad," he complained.

"What if I do?" I responded cheekily.

"Don't you dare!" he shouted.

I reached my hand out slowly. Kody watched it with mistrust, and for good reason. When he wasn't being as cautious, I jerked my hand forward and attacked his sides. He squealed loudly and tried to dive away, but now that I knew he was that ticklish I wasn't about to give up. I dove forward and secured one arm around his back while my other attacked his sides.

Kody's laughter filled my ears, and it was so sweet that I wanted to take a video and watch it back over and over. He collapsed onto the floor because I had made his legs weak, and I followed him to the ground. I straddled him while still tickling his sides.

"S-stop! I'm going to pee! Mercy!" he cried, and I stopped. Instead I was just on the floor straddling him while the last of the laughter died. When he sobered down, his eyes met mine with unmatchable intensity. I leaned down to his lips and kissed them passionately forgetting that his father was feet away. His fingers slotted into my hair while he pulled me down to kiss him harder.

Just as we were about to pull it deeper, Mason cleared his throat above us. Kody blushed awkwardly while I rolled off of him.

"Young love is cute and all, but please don't make out on my office floor in front of me."

Suddenly my stomach grumbled, betraying me. Kody's giggles returned, and I fell in love all over again. "I'm guessing that you want food?" Mason asked while also laughing at me.

"Oh darn, how did he know!" I joked like the drama queen that I am.

"Come on, I haven't had breakfast yet anyways."

"Define breakfast?" Kody asked. I looked into his eyes and saw that he was dead serious. It was adorably sad, and it spoke to the way he was raised. Mason was looking at him the same way, and Kody himself looked like a deer in the headlights. "Guess I should know that one?"

Mason did a horrible job at muffling a cry. I guess he was unfamiliar with how horrible the streets of Carbuos were. It was because my parents only cared about the top 50% of people, so those who weren't were left to die in their eyes.

"I... Come on, we can show you," Mason recovered quickly and lead him from the room.

Once we got to the dining room, we all sat down. It was amazing how much warmer the atmosphere was here, and Mason's maids didn't act like they either hated him or were literally possessed.

"That's what this is!" Kody exclaimed when presented with typical breakfast food. "I remember this from your palace, but I couldn't remember what it was called."

"Great to know that you fed him while he was with you," Mason commented.

"Well, I did, but my father almost ate his head off during that meal. Then we made Mac and cheese together, made a huge mess, and got kicked out," I told the story like I was proud because I was. Not the kicking out part, but I was proud because I stood up for him.

"You two are welcome here as long as you need to stay."

"You're too kind."

"Actually, I'm a normal parent."

"I admire that. I've longed for a real parent figure for my whole life. I'm glad that I have you now."