33. The Bedroom

3.14.20

James's POV

It was kind of hurting my chest to see how much Kody's forgotten. He's back to the thinking I'm going to kill him phase; I can't believe I've lost that much time. If I ever see the sun again, I will not hesitate to get violent.

Right now, the love of my life was staring lifelessly at the wall with a small frown on his face. He acted just like he did almost 5 years ago, and that fact scared the hell out of me. It was insane how he went from loving me and being loved to the skittish alley cat I used to know. The one that hides what he's truly feeling underneath a fifty mile long barrier of unbreakable metal; all so that he doesn't get hurt.

I couldn't bare to watch Kody sit there any longer, and I stood up to leave the room. I walked out of my bedroom and locked the door from the outside. I knew he could always get out of the window, but this put a little bit of reassurance in my mind at last.

As soon as I got down the hall, I punched the wall with all of my force and left a deep hole. I'm just unprepared to deal with all of this right now, so I tried to handle it as well as I can which just so happened to involve breaking things.

"Fuck!" I shouted the rare profanity just as I got a phone call.

"I'm outside," Melia stated coldly. She was obviously mad at me for just leaving Kody hanging. However, no one had taught me a way to cope, so I had taught myself. Because of my patchy upbringing, I just couldn't do anything hard without losing my mind.

"Come in. I'll meet you in the foyer," I murmured angrily before hanging up the phone. I stormed through the hallways like a dog in heat trying to find a male dog. I have a mission, believe it or not. I needed to get Kody to remember everything.

Melia was in the foyer looking pissed off, and her mouth opened before I cut her off with a stern, "You can yell at me later, I need your help."

"What is it?" Melia asked with the anger still very much present in her harsh voice.

"It's Kody," I stated simply before walking up the stairs with Melia trailing behind me. She walked after me quickly at the mention of her friend, and when I was stood out of the room, I looked her in the eye. "He... You'll see, but expect him to act differently."

"What did you do, prince boy," Mels snapped while I unlocked the door.

"I didn't do anything except try to save him." The door opened with a click, and she ran into the room. I watched from the crack in the door I left.

"Jesus, now he's gonna kill you too? He keeps trying to confuse me by telling me that I lost my memory. It's sketchy, Mels. My intuition doesn't like it," Kody rambled. Melia placed a soft hand over her mouth and looked back at me in shock. "I know, shocking, right?"

"Nonono, Kody," she wept.

Kody looked at her in shock. "Are you working with them? I thought I had an ally in this stupid place, but they have you held captive!" he was getting more and more hard to reach.

"Kody, no! He's telling the truth about that!"

"I won't hear it. I though we were friends Mels. Did they promise you money or something to betray your best friend."

"Kodes..."

"Why is everyone suddenly calling me that? You have literally always used my full name since I've known you."

At that point, Melia actually began crying. It was breaking her heart just as much as it was burning mine. "Kody you need to remember."

I couldn't bear to watch Melia crying and Kody being indifferent to our struggles any longer, so I casually excused myself. "Daddy, why doesn't other daddy love me anymore?" Koda asked while I sat next to him in a hallway.

"He loves you very much, Koda. He just doesn't remember that he does," I consoled gently.

"Can we help him remember, Daddy? You were happier when he remembered." This child is too wise and observant for his own good, but that's just another Kody quality he inherited from the genetic lottery. I would honestly question if Koda was mine if it weren't for his hair color because he was closer to his father in so many ways.

"I only wish it was that simple, Koda. I wish I had him back."

Then I got a bright idea. Maybe if I gained his trust again the same way I did 5 years ago, he would fall in love with me again. Then again, a lot of his trust came from me defending him from my parents, but they are kind of dead now. I need to find a way to build his trust before I drop anything heavy on him, or I could lose him forever. I heard his bedroom door open and close, and a wet faced Melia walked down the hallway before leaving.

I hesitantly walked up to my door, and I knew that I would have to fake like I was kidding about his memory. I knocked gently on the wood before entering to see him sitting on the bed crying.

"Kody... I apologize for confusing you so much," I murmured gently while sitting down next to him on the bed.

"It hurts because I was just starting to trust you, and you had to go and betray me," he confided in me his troubles.

"I know, Kody. I can't say that what I did wasn't wrong. Please forgive me," I begged.

He looked up at me with teary eyes, and I gently ran a finger underneath his enchanting emerald eyes to dry them. "I won't be able to trust you again right away, but I'm willing to try. I don't even know why I'm so apt to forgive you." I smiled softly before he slowly leaned his forehead against mine. "I wish I knew why I'm so attracted to you. It's like you're a magnet and I'm a piece of iron. Did I ever tell you how pretty your eyes are?"

I felt his touch, similar to a dove, run down my upper arm, and I melted against his body. I unintentionally closed my eyes because of how content I was, and I felt shy lips on mine.

My mind and body exploded into a million sparks. I tilted my head back to show him that his actions were okay, and he suddenly became a lot less gentle. I wrapped my arms around the back of his neck, and his wrapped around my waist in response. I missed this close feeling from Kody, and I found myself wanting more. His lips slowly trailed down my neck, and I was fighting the noises that begged to escape my lips.

"K-Kody," I moaned when he sucked and bit on a specific spot.

"Hmm," he mumbled while still nibbling. He pulled away too soon, and I looked into his emerald eyes. "I don't know what came over me," he apologized.

"It's okay... I love you."