Chapter 95: We Were Ships In The Night (EP. 02)

A/N: A new mystical and unexpected friend arrives at both Elsa and Aiden's life. But a new mystery rises once our dearest Fire King sees the person he swore to protect years before in a new form.

Who is this mysterious but friendly stranger?
____________________________________
"Joyous trip, wasn't it, cousin?" Nathan small talked, curtly smiling at his unamused fellow monarch. Elsa suppressed a giggle as the darker haired King of Arendelle nod his head, "Aye. It was."

Aiden longed for his mood to lighten up ever since they departed from the South Harbor a day ago, but nothing changed.

The former energy that can be seen in his eyes faded into a dull gray, and nothing seems to excite him anymore... Maybe just for a while. The thought always bothered Elsa.

The Northern people were so welcoming towards the both of them when they arrived at the port. She even told Nathan that a grand entrance wasn't so needed. But the new king just laughed heartily and encouraged them to not be shy.

Another thing—well, someone— that bugged her, and well, Aiden, was the main celebrant. She can already sense the unnoticed tension between the two. Nathan was just trying to liven it all up, but it was all faux jolly.

Aiden is obviously too stiff. The atmosphere was too uncomfortable. They were surrounded by great foreign kings and queens who traveled miles to greet the young king a happy birthday.

The King of Denmark managed to catch Nathan's attention, thankfully. Aiden finally relaxed his body posture with a heavy breath, putting down the glass of bubbles on a nearby tray.

"How long were you holding that up?" Elsa blankly questioned.

"Ever since I started talking with mister happy go lucky, why?" Aiden joked bitterly.

"I just don't get it. It's midnight." Elsa groaned silently, squeezing her husband's hand, "He's having the time of his life, I can tell."

"Oh, dear. From what I've heard, that man attends the most extravagant parties held from France, to Spain, to practically everywhere in Europe. I do not know where he gets his energy."

"How strange. I barely survived my coronation ball." Elsa muttered.

"And I can barely go through five pours." Aiden sighed, holding her close, "Why are we treating this party as if it is a maze?"

"Hey, at least we have each other." Elsa laughed.

"While you are correct, I feel the sudden need to kiss you." Aiden smirked, leaning closer to her face. Elsa giggled and pushed his face to an appropriate distance, "We're in a party, lover."

"I hate parties." Aiden lightly groaned.

"Lighten up, will you?" Elsa smiled, pressing a kiss on his cheek, "Just a couple of hours more and I'm sure we can tell Nathan that we're going to retire to our private quarters."

"I guess." Aiden sighed, caressing her hair.

The stained glass windows on the west side of the ballroom made a cracking noise as various shades of glass shards dropped to the marble floor.

Startled gasps can be heard as a troop of guards sprung to action— shooing away nearby guests from the falling glass debris.

"What's going on?" Aiden glared dangerously at the situation. Elsa gripped her husband's arm tightly to make him stay in place, "Lover, don't panic." She ordered under her breath.

Another stained glass window popped into a shower of shards, the cold wind rushing inside as a new piece of the expensive glass fall to the ground.

The guests began to panic as whispers were thrown in the air; noble ladies holding onto their escort's arm in fear.

The debonair birthday king flashed his surrounding guests a nervous smile, "Alright, none shall panic—"

It was the King of Arendelle who furiously approached the younger king with balled fists, the back of his dark green formal tailcoat tugged by his shaky Queen, "This isn't the time for smiling and laughing like nothing is happening, Nathan!"

"Are you encouraging my dear guests to pursue their panic?" Nathan growled in irritation.

"Men! Protect the King and Queen!" Lars huffed, unsheathing his sword as a troop of Arendellian Guards surrounded both the snow queen and the fire king. "What are you all waiting for? Christmas?!" Matthias gruffly gestured to the other foreign country's guards.

The unaware guards nervously picked up their weapons and defensively went in front of their leaders.

"It's not a good time for chit-chat, Nathan!"

"Well it's certainly not so kingly of you to be such a killjoy!"

"Sire, can you please save the cousin's debate for later? There's a possible threat here and it's—"

A/N: The picture below does not belong to me. Credits to the one who owns it.

"—h-humongous

"—h-humongous." Matthias finished in fear.

The entirety of the guests went steady as a statue once the horse-height carnivore menacingly growled at them with slitted yellow eyes, its large clawed paws stepping nearer to Matthias and Lars.

The mystical wild cat flared its nostrils bravely, the gold peculiar chained piercings on its right ear swinging deviously.

"This should be easy. The zookeeper should be more careful next time." Nathan smiled fearlessly, preparing his crossbow towards the ferocious animal.

"I have never seen an animal like it." Whispered Lars.

"Men! Step aside!" Aiden demanded, "Let me handle this!"

"We can't possibly let you take the risk, my king!" Matthias refused.

"There are no risks. Let me take care of this." Aiden calmly chided, pushing the guards aside. Elsa solemnly stared at how her husband approach the wild feline slowly, a heavy breath hitching each step he takes.

She resisted the frost that urged to form on her fingertips, her blue eyes shutting in anticipation.

The tiger ceased its temper and retreated a little in fright as the King Of Arendelle moved forward with a gentle hand.

"Hey.. Don't be afraid."

Fear isn't so bad always.

The tiger hesitated against his assuring words. The carnivore took one baby step forward, nostrils flaring in reluctance.

"Come on... They won't hurt you. I'm here."

The carnivore finally lets the fire king pet its furry forehead, the feline purring in response. Nathan stood in stillness there; flabbergasted. Elsa folded her arms against herself and smiled softly, sipping her own liquor filled glass quietly.

But who is this mysterious new friend? Where did she come from?