38 | watch me burn

Start from the beginning

    "You know, I liked it better when I had the upper hand" Caroline raised her eyebrows, causing Rhena to smile.

    "I can let you win next time" Rhena offered, shrugging a little.

    Caroline rolled her eyes playfully "please, that was luck"

    In a quick motion, Rhena grabbed arm and kicked her foot behind Caroline's ankle, causing the blonde to fall down again. Caroline closed her eyes as Tyler laughed again, but this time, she kicked Rhena's ankles as well, causing the Bekker girl to fall with a thud next to her.

    "That's better" Caroline smiled, turning to see her with a smile. Rhena snored and turned to see her, now that they were both on the ground. Once the two locked eyes, they began to laugh. Caroline exhaled "you know, that you have better reflexes, you can finally join cheerleading with me when we go back to school" Caroline smiled enthusiastically, turning to see Tyler with her big smile before looking at Rhena.

    The moment those words escaped her mouth, Rhena's smile flattened. She looked away, feeling the burning gaze of her friends. She couldn't find the right moment to tell them her plans, or what she had in mind.

    "Rhena?" Caroline furrowed her eyebrows, sitting up as she looked at the brunette, concerned "you're going back to school with us, right?"

    Rhena closed her eyes for a few seconds before opening back again, slowly sitting up to finally face the reality. It was good while it lasted.

    "Rhena?" Tyler called this time, putting away his sketch book. The woods were silent, waiting for her voice to speak the words that were keeping her tongue tied.

    Rhena opened her mouth, but no words came out. She looked everywhere but her friends, but she had to do it at some point. She sighed and passing a hand through her hair.

    "I'm not going back to school, for now" she confessed, trying to hold back the need to bit the inside of their tongue, but she did end up looking up to see their reactions.

    Caroline and Tyler were looking at her incredulously, as if they were waiting to the moment she would start laughing, telling them it was just a joke. They wanted her to say she was just messing with them, and she was going back to finish school with them.

    "What are you talking about?" Caroline seemed to be the first one to go out of the shock, and she looked angry "Rhena, what do you mean you're not coming back? This is our last year, you can't give up"

"I'm not giving up, Care" Rhena turned to see her, sighing as she shook her head "I can't go back, not now"

"You have so much ahead of you!" Caroline began to stand up, and naturally, the other two started to do the same "You wanted to become a nurse, we were going to be roommates with Bon and Elena at Duke, we are supposed to be graduating and then starting the rest of our lives!"

"How am I going to start the rest of my life if I don't even know the beginning of it?" Rhena's eyes widen, opening her arms frantically "I can't go back, not when there's so much holding me back"

Tyler walked closer to them, raising his hand in an attempt to plat the referi "Okay, I don't think this is the right time—"