24 | turn to nightmares

| meliorism |
chapter twenty-four
❝ kill or be killed ❞

| meliorism |chapter twenty-four❝ kill or be killed ❞

  ҉  ҉  ҉

   Endless thoughts ran through her mind, like a wave hitting the coast without remorse, like a the rain falling into a river, like a natural disaster raising through the human civilization with the mother nature's blessing. It was there, an unstoppable force, clearly detected but not easily understood.

    Rhena stood in the backyard, sitting in the chair while she delicately touched the flowers. The day was nice, clear and fresh, and everything felt a little more alive.

    From the sliding door, Cade stepped outside, making his way to her. She didn't turn, already knowing who it was. He sat down next to her, leaning back as he released a tiring sigh. She smiled gently at him, then returned to watching the flowers until he spoke up.

    "Hey, you have something do to today?" he turned to look at her while she thought of her answer. Her only plan was to stay home, watch tv and be lazy.

She shook her head "No, why?"

    "Jenna invited us to a barbecue in her house, Mason is going, and Alaric, I think that's it, what to come?" he offered, and she made a gesture.

"What about the others?" she turned to see him, biting the inside of her cheek.

    "Dad is taking Indi to the aquatic park, Asher is going out with some friends, Jax is out with some girl, he bailed on me, so, you in?" he raised his hands, waiting expectantly for her answer.

    She was about to decline, but he seemed so hopeful, that she couldn't "Sure" she nodded, causing her brother to smile and then proceeded to ruffle her head.

"Be ready in an hour" he stood up and went back inside, leaving alone once again. She sighed, if she wanted to be better, she had to socialize, just one day, she thought and went inside to change out of her pijamas.

The two Bekker siblings got out of the car, Cade holding a bottle of champagne while Rhena had a tray of cookies and some of the appetizers. She looked around the house as she followed her older brother, feeling that something was off about the house.

    The door to the Gilbert household opened before they rang the doorbell, and Elena greeted them. Cade smiled at the girl, not knowing the two were not talking. Rhena and Elena look at her each other, and she entered, but before she could walk away, Elena stood in front of her.