Ah, there's that anger again.

I sigh and take a moment to compose myself before turning to meet him.

Or...her?

Green eyes widen in shock as the pilot looks me over. "It's you," she whispers, a blush creeping up her face.

"Me?" I ask, looking at Leia for assistance. She shakes her head, just as lost as I am. "I'm sorry, have we met?"

The girl—pilot—huffs indignantly. "You nearly knocked me down in the hallway not an hour ago!" She shouts, jabbing at my chest. "You could at least apologize, jerk."

My jaw drops. I hadn't recognized her. Guess she cleans up well.

Leia gasps quietly. "Mara Vali, this is General Poe Dameron, leader of Black Squadron, acting head of the Resistance."

I stand a little taller at Leia's embellished introduction, taking great pleasure in watching the color drain from the girl's face. "Nice to meet you, Mara," I drawl with a grin, holding out my hand. She shakes it after a few awkward moments of staring.

I take the opportunity to really look at her this time. She's several inches shorter than me, dressed in an orange flight suit, dark hair pulled back into a loose braid. Her eyes briefly meet mine but she looks away quickly.

"You any good, Vali?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Huh?" She shakes her head, looking confused.

"Are you a good pilot?" I elaborate. "I need to know if you're gonna wind up getting me and my entire fleet killed."

She mirrors my position and stares me down, feigning confidence. "Graduated top of my class at the New Academy. So, yes, sir. I'm a good pilot."

"Have you seen any combat?" I press, knowing full well I've just escalated myself to full douchebag status.

She freezes. "Well, no, but I-"

"Then how do you know you're a good pilot? Practice runs and dogfight simulations don't mean shit out here. This is the real world, and you're not leading anyone until you can prove your worth. Got it?"

Mara swallows hard and glances quickly at Leia. "Yes, sir. Understood." She avoids eye contact as she walks quickly from the room.

"Poe Dameron, I'm disappointed in you." Leia shakes her head at me.

"What? You brought her in to lead squadrons, right? I'm just doing my job of making sure every time we take off it's not a suicide mission. I wasn't being rude, I was being honest. Good exam scores are fine and all, but the real test of a pilot is putting them in front of a fleet of TIE Fighters with nowhere to run and an entire squadron's fate resting on their shoulders." I realize my voice has increased in volume, drawing several curious stares from the room. "I can't put my faith in her yet," I tell Leia, quieter now. "I'm sorry, General."

"I understand, Poe," she says, a gentle smile curling her lips. "I trust your judgment and leadership. Just take it easy on her while she proves herself—which she will, in time. I recruited her for a reason. You'll see one day." Leia pats my hand and moves to the front of the conference table to call the room to order.

I sigh and follow her, putting my General face on.

—REY—

Ben and I sneak into the meeting at the last second. Poe watches irritably as we take our seats at the table of officers. I look away, knowing if I maintain eye contact I'll have his death on repeat in my mind.