11. Impatience and Intuition

--HUX--

"General, the Supreme Leader would like a word with you." CPO Unamo stands behind me, her hands folded behind her back. Of all the officers on the Finalizer, she is the one I dislike the least. She irritates me far less than even her superiors.

"Thank you, Unamo." My tight-lipped smile is met with a polite nod before she turns on her heel and walks back across the bridge.

As I make my way to the communication room, I look around at all of my accomplishments. The ship itself I can't take credit for, but everything else...

Ren cannot take that away from me. Try as he might, this is mine. All of it. The precision of the troops, the organization of operations on the Finalizer, every victory the First Order has achieved. I deserve the recognition and praise that Ren seems to keep receiving.

As soon as the door slides shut behind me, Snoke's form flickers to life in the center of the room. It's frigid and dark in his "chambers," probably to make people feel uncomfortable and intimidated. I take a deep breath, puff up my chest, and walk forward. I'm no coward.

"Leader Snoke, you wanted to see me?"

"General Hux, thank you for coming so quickly." His hoarse voice echoes off the cold walls. "I am beginning to doubt Kylo Ren's loyalty to our cause."

Finally, here's my chance! "Has he gone rogue?" My voice sounds indifferent, disinterested.

"No, not yet. But I sense a divide in him. Something is making him question his alliance, I fear."

My lip turns up in disgust. "Something, or someone?"

Snoke lets out a harsh, hissing laugh. "The scavenger! Ren is foolish to believe he has anything in common with the pathetic creature. He is desperate for sympathy."

"What would you like me to do?" I try to keep from sounding too eager.

Snoke leans forward and his hologram flickers. "Destroy him and his precious Rey. Obliterate the Resistance. Call in the Dreadnoughts. Kill them all. He is worthless to us now."

I can't help but smile as I exit the room. Finally, my time has come. Ren is a dead man.

* * * * * * * * * *

--REY--

I'm sitting alone at a table in the mess hall, silently eating my breakfast. People are milling about, telling stories, laughing at jokes, but I don't hear any of it. I didn't get any sleep after my visit to Ren's cell last night. His words echo in my head, ringing true but still doubtful. Is it possible he knows my parents? Are they still alive? Does he know them because he killed them?

"Rey!" The exasperated voice directly behind my head startles me. I jump and turn around, only to find Finn glaring at me.

"What?" I snap, my patience already gone from lack of sleep.

"I called your name, like, five times. What's wrong with you today?"

I narrow my eyes at him and turn back to my uneaten food. "Sorry, I'm just used to tuning your voice out." He gasps but I ignore the hurt look on his face. "What do you want?"

He sits down beside me and notices the dark circles under my eyes. "Are you okay? You look exhausted."

"I'm fine."

Finn shrugs. "Okay, I won't ask again. The general wants to see you. Apparently Ren is being unusually cooperative today. She wants to know if he told you anything that might explain his behavior."